Monday, February 2, 2009

DAY 36: More fluids, fewer staples...

I spent Sunday afternoon on the couch laid out with a mirgraine and relentless fatigue, but boy was it fun to watch a terrific Australian Open championship match, and then the Superbowl -- both of which went down to the wire. I'm typically not one to follow sports, or spend hours watching them on TV, but that has changed. I'm also following Wake Forest basketball (my alma mater). They're great this season!

We had a clinic visit today from noon until 8pm. We've decided that 8 hours is just about par for the course. Last night, I was so weak, that I had to scoot up the stairs to bed on my behind. I suspected that I was severly anemic based on all the symptoms, but today we learned according to my blood counts that I simply needed more platelets and fluids. So that's what I got.

Since I was not too stable, they decided to push my next intrathecal chemo (brain chemo) to Wednesday, which will be our next visit. Good- I have two more days to think about it -- fun!

I also got my 19 scalp staples removed! I will post a current photo once I get all cleaned up... as right now there's a good bit of dried blood and I know no one cares to see that!

I'm eating carbs like crazy based on cravings for pizza, pasta, bread, bagels, and the like. Not sure why I'm getting them, but I won't protest for now. I was about 190-195lbs when all this started, and now I'm at 175-180lbs. Cancer is certainly not the best trade-off for a little weight loss, but it's a nice perk.

I continue to receive the most generous support from my employer. I am so grateful for the kindness and character that all of my colleagues have demonstrated since the very beginning. I will never forget how they have acted during this time of unprecedented unproductivity in my life. Wow. I am forever thankful and realize just how lucky I am, in light of the current times.

A friend sent me Lance Armstrong's book and I'm already halfway through it. It feels like it could very well be my autobiography. (Well, the cancer journey, not the world-class cyclist part). He is able to capture some of the emotions and experiences quite adeptly, and so I may end up dropping a quote or two in before I'm all said and done.

Ok, my eyelids are getting heavy which means the spelling is about to get worse. Talk to you soon and thanks for keeping in this with me!

7 comments:

Myr and Hollie said...

Go Deacs and tell Lance 'hey' for me. Hope you rest well between now and Wednesday. Love you Stu

Mark Allers said...

Are you reading "It's not about the bike"? I read that one while I was bicycling across the country on Journey of Hope. Very inspiring.

Laura Baxter said...

Stuart-
Read your blog every and then quickly go to check on Candace (wow, she's amazing). Who knew that such a profound thinker/writer and strong person lived above me in Collins 2A almost 14 years ago. You're inspiring many and I hope that gives you just one more ounce of strength to get up those stairs, read another chapter, yell at the tv, go back to Tacqueria del Sol (oh how I miss it so) etc. Thinking about you and praying for you in California.
Fight on,
Laura Baxter

willngracemom said...

Stuart,
I was reading your blog for my daily update and my four year old (which knows you by the name of Mr. Stuart when he prays) passed by. He saw your picture and said, "mom, Mr. Stuarts head is beautiful ~ he has a paining on it (the purple marker), he is really lucky!". Out of the mouths of babes my friend. You are now awesome in my sons eyes as well as mine, keep up the good fight and know that my kids,husband and myself are praying for you and Candace daily and you are beautiful in God's eyes and a four year olds:)

Alecia Gardner

Martha said...

Stopping in to check on you, Stuart and Candace. I think of you so often. Well, you did ride across the state of Iowa...how many times? Only difference between you and Lance is that he went uphill six or seven times. Plus, you do have Candace. I enjoyed seeing pictures of her beloved dad...he looked very tall. You kids take care this week. Wish there was something that could be done to shorten the clinic ordeal. Did Lance have to wait that long each time?
Love ya'll.

David H. said...

Haven't forgotten about you by a long shot, Stu. You've got a lot of people behind you, my man. Go Deacs!

Kris McDaniel said...

Stu, if you keep up the weight loss in a couple of months you'll be down to my weight! We love you in our house. We pray for you all the time, friend. Hang tough.