Tuesday, February 10, 2009

DAY 44: REMISSION?!?

I didn't know you couldn't chew gum, ok!? I was driving to Emory at about 7:15am today when I suddenly started to dry heave (gag) in the car. I think it was a combination of a completely empty stomach and the visceral reaction to another week of inpatient chemo on the horizon. So what did I do? I fumbled for a piece of gum, thinking surely it would be permissible, since it wasn't food and it wasn't going in my stomach.

When I was walking back to get prepped for the scan, the nurse asked casually, "So what's that in your mouth?"

"It's a piece of gum... I was dry heaving on the drive over and this helped."

"Ooohhhh. So sorry, but that messes up the PET scan. Your body starts it's insulin cycle when you chew gum, and that will compromise the reading. You'll have to reschedule."

"Noooooooo! But I am checking in today as an inpatient, and we need this scan before we start my next round!"

"I'll see if I can get you scheduled for this afternoon. Sorry, still no food between now and then. And take that gum out!!"

Deflated, I moped over to the admissions office and checked myself in for another week. I was assigned to room E716, which has a great westerly view of sunsets and the skyline. Score one for the good guys! I came up to the floor and told my nurse what had happened - and that I needed at some point to run home and pick up my wife and our bags for the week. They asked the normal battery of intake questions, got my port accessed, and then let me run home quickly.

Mr. stomach was not happy about the ever-prolonging fast. We got back and waited until 3pm, at which point they took me down to prep for the PET/CT. If you have never before downed two containers of the barium contrast, you're missing out. Mmmm. Chalk!

I waited an hour for the radioactive sugar to permeate my abdomen. All the while... I was surrendering to God in silence the outcome of the scan. What will be, will be. We'll take it as it comes. Ah! The pride! As if we have a choice otherwise, right?!

So I was called back to 'the tube'. I laid there, supine, with my arms over my head. Thirty-five minutes later, we were finished. I was wheeled back up to my room in the fancy wheelchair. Oh, the perks.

Dr. Kaufman came in, who is the attending physician making rounds this week. He said, "I've got good news and bad news. The bad news is, you can't chew gum before a PET/CT scan. Who knew! The good news is... your scan looks clean. You're in remission."

Wow. God, thank you so very much for having me in the palm of your hand every step of the way. I was ecstatic. To Him be all the glory.

He said that this is good for two main reasons. One, we know the chemo regimen is working, and therefore we'll continue it. He said that his opinion is to continue through all 8 cycles, assuming I can handle it. If what we're doing it working, then it's best to do as much of it as you can stand, to help your odds of a complete cure.

Second, I am an early responder. The odds of beating this cancer (like a drum, I might add) is very high. YES!

Lord, you are so good to me. That I might live a long life as your humble servant.

52 comments:

Erin said...

AMEN, brother! I think the gum helped.

Meghan said...

HURRAH! HURRAH! HUUUUURRRRAAAAHHH!

That's is such great news. Still praying for you, not going to stop, but goodness gracious I'm so happy for you I'm teary eyed!

Melanie said...

Thats wonderful news! We don't really know each other but I go to Trinity and know Candace and have been following your blogs. I'm so happy to hear this news!!!

Kara said...

I am jumping up and down inside!! Yay!!

Unknown said...

Praise God! What wonderful news!!

Kris McDaniel said...

hahahaha! I am so happy. My kids are happy. My wife is happy. AND God is good, friend. We love you. We rejoice with you and Candace as this good news sinks in.

Daniel Bass said...

Stuart! Amanda Nicole Ross and I (Daniel Cliett Bass) are sitting on her sofa praising God for you and your recovery! You are awesome and this is a wonderful thing. Amanda just said (ever so astutely) that God has used this event to make His glory evident to all the people in this community of believers. We love you, brother, and will continue to pray with you and Candace and the masses ;-) Praise the Lord!

corrie said...

Really good news...

Can't wait to share it with the girls.

Mark

Myr and Hollie said...

Like a DRUM!!!! That's wonderful news, Stu. The hope was that it hadn't grown since last scan and now it's clean?!?! Break out the veggie burgers and facon, it's time to party!

Lindsey Elizabeth Burke said...

Hallelujah, thank you Jesus! The Burke's are rejoicing in Butte, MT! We love you and Candace. :)

Cameron Lawrence said...

Yes!! We will keep praying!!

Jon and Amanda said...

God is so good! We are thrilled and rejoicing with you both.

Kelle Ortiz said...

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the best read ever!!!

WE ARE SO HAPPYYY!!!

Schmidty said...

Wonderful news, Stuart.

I started following your blog a bit after Sam (Blog Strong) mentioned you awhile back. Have been thinking a lot about your positive attitude. God bless.

Jen Harris said...

Praise God!!!!!!! I couldn't be excited for you! I will continue to pray for your health, God is soooo good!

Kelly said...

AWESOME!AWESOME!YEAH!YIPPIE!

So happy for you and Candace!!!!!

Stephen Ostrander said...

ADDA BOY!

Shane called me while I was on set yesterday and shared the good news. And Swindy was right there next to me to celebrate.

Keep fightin' brother!

O

Jeff said...

This is great news. Keep up the fight!

Andy Rocha said...

Dude, I literally just had a tear (ok, it was a full out cry...). We love you and Candace and we'll keep praying until this is all over.

Myrna said...

That's so awesome! I'm so happy for you that I burned my muffins! Oh well!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Stuart -

That's is FANTASTIC!!! I am so happy to see your great news. Congratulations. The Lord is good indeed.

Press on, brother.

Tripp said...

Stu- this is such amazing news!! Rachel and I continue to keep you guys in our prayers. Praise God for his love, care, and protection!

Martha said...

Tears are streaming down my face, you precious little couple. You both are such a blessing to us all who check on you here. My family is yearning for your full recovery as you can imagine. Praise be to Almighty God!

Unknown said...

YES!!! We are SO happy to hear this. Praise Jesus!

Anonymous said...

hi! i know we don't know each other that well, but i've been reading your blog for the past couple months, and i'm so happy to hear this news! i'm so inspired by you and candace's strength. thank you for sharing!
katie culp.

gtwreck98 said...

Great news, buddy! I always knew you were an overachiever! (show-off!)

matt

Blog Strong said...

Great News, Stuart! Thinking of you and hoping round three is going well.

-Sam

Aida Rita said...

GREAT NEWS !!!!! Will pray extra hard tonight so that everything continues the same way.

Unknown said...

yay, stu!!

willngracemom said...

PRAISE GOD!! YAY, we are all sooooo happy for you, continued prayers my friend. My little boy is over the moon that you are doing better, you are his hero:) <3

Alecia Carpenter Gardner

Vanessa said...

Awesome news! God is so good! Praying for your strength through the rest of your chemo treatments and wisdom in making the decision on your number of treatments!

Jeff said...

Fantastic News! Way to kick some cancer butt! This news will make the rest of the chemo easier to bear.(if that's possible!) With him all things are possible! We'll keep up the prayers in California.

Jeff Jenkins

Susan said...

Yeaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!

Jo said...

What great news! Praise the Lord!!!

Jenny & David Brooks said...

Jonah's Prayer (Jonah 2:1-10)

1 From inside the fish Jonah prayed to the LORD his God. 2 He said:
"In my distress I called to the LORD,
and he answered me.
From the depths of the grave I called for help,
and you listened to my cry.
3 You hurled me into the deep,
into the very heart of the seas,
and the currents swirled about me;
all your waves and breakers
swept over me.

4 I said, 'I have been banished
from your sight;
yet I will look again
toward your holy temple.'

5 The engulfing waters threatened me,
the deep surrounded me;
seaweed was wrapped around my head.

6 To the roots of the mountains I sank down;
the earth beneath barred me in forever.
But you brought my life up from the pit,
O LORD my God.

7 "When my life was ebbing away,
I remembered you, LORD,
and my prayer rose to you,
to your holy temple.

8 "Those who cling to worthless idols
forfeit the grace that could be theirs.

9 But I, with a song of thanksgiving,
will sacrifice to you.
What I have vowed I will make good.
Salvation comes from the LORD."

10 And the LORD commanded the fish, and it vomited Jonah onto dry land. [emphasis mine]

Jenny & David Brooks said...

Stuart, we are so so happy and relieved to hear about your clean scan! We think of you and Candace often and continue to keep you in our prayers!!

Melanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melanie said...

GLORY TO GOD !

His hand is on you, and prayers are being answered -what an awesome God we have..
I too, am in tears.

Love to your beautiful wife.

The Dilleys

Sam's Mum said...

One of the best words in the English language: "REMISSION"!!!! I know Sam told you, but I'm a five-year, eleven-month lymphoma survivor. I know it's a day-to-day struggle for you, Candace, your family, and friends right now, but the good news is that some day this will all be a distant memory. You will truly know the meaning of living every day to its fullest. You will know not to sweat the small stuff because you've been through some pretty big stuff. Our family is walking with your family through this. Keep up the good work. I hope some day that we can all meet when you and Sam are healthy again. Until then, LIVE STRONG!!!!

David H. said...

Amen, brother!

Ben Thomas said...

we are so happy with you! God is good and faithful!

Mike M said...

Stuart, We were given this news last night by your aunt and uncle (Marcia and Stan). We all rejoiced together. We Thank God for his goodness, grace and mercy.
We are continuing to pray for you and Candace
Praise be to God!!

Jeff Guy said...

Last night's small group turned to praising God (rather loudly) for his goodness & might! We are all so overjoyed! Christ continue to be with you Stuart & Candace!

Unknown said...

Stuart, that is absolutely fantastic news. definitely keeping you and Candace in my prayers!

Emerson and Brooks said...

Chris and I are thrilled at the wonderful news! Way to go! Our prayers have been answered!!!

Cox Family said...

Wonderful news!

Martha said...

Your sense of humor lingers in memories of you. How you danced with utter glee at seeing those two naked dolls you tied on the back of the getaway car as they bumped down the road. When you were to lead the entire wedding party in the head golf cart but couldn't make it go. (Turn on the power switch first). We've seen the blog and the t-shirt...now we want the mug, the book, and the movie!!
Happy Valentines Day to the Valentines Couple of 2009, Stuart and Candace!

galit.viviana said...

Amazing! I will continue to send healing thoughts your way.

Matthew Newton said...

This is wonderful Stuart.

Thank you Lord.

ReichT said...

Great news Stuart! I'll still be praying for ya, as I know the next 8 rounds will still be tough. Anne and I got married last weekend and are living right around the corner from you guys now. Hope to come visit soon!

Todd

Debbie said...

YAYYYY Stuart!!! Big Congrats!!! Such great news! God is Good and we are rejoicing in that with you! thank you for being so transparent and for sharing so much. i feel so much encouragement and strength from your blog- you are truly a blessing! We will continue to pray for more good news!