Friday, January 30, 2009

DAY 33: Platter of platelets...

Thursday morning started with an 8am appointment at the Emory Clinic. I had high hopes that it would be a quick in-and-out (meaning we'd be home by lunch), but I was proven wrong. Wasn't the first time and won't be the last! Funny how we set ourselves up for a let-down ONLY when we have an agenda of our own. If we have no expectation, then there really is no disappointment.

Got my arm pricked for the 176th time for a blood draw. I had Alfreda again. She goes by 'Freda'. Freda is a good stick. I am starting to develop relationships with the Pflebotomists. Who'd-a-thunk-it? If I don't think I'm getting any IV fluids or am not scheduled for any IV chemo, I usually don't ask them to access my chest port. That hurts a whole heck of a lot more than a simple arm prick. Too bad I didn't have my crystal ball with me this time.

We then went across the hall for a consult with a nurse practitioner. This usually involves a whole lot of waiting. We ended up seeing one around 11am. The lab work confirmed that my WBC count was decimated (0.3) and therefore I am in the neutropenic stage of the cycle. Through the usual battery of questions, we decided that it probably would be prudent to get a bag of platelets that day. I had been dizzy and light-headed, having chronic nosebleeds, and my platelet count was around 30 (as compared to a low end of 'acceptable' at about 50). I was also most likely dehydrated. I try to drink fluids all day long, but there really is no comparison to getting a bag of saline directly into the bloodstream. So it was time to wait some more.

To pass the time, we went to the Patient and Family Resource Center within the building, and I looked over some Lymphoma books and read some testimonies from other cancer survivors that made me cry. (I seem to well up very, very readily these days. Again, not something I mind. In fact, I hope this folly stays with me.) One concept that was particularly memorable was that one becomes a cancer survivor upon finding out he or she has cancer, not going into remission. So, for me, I would say, "I became a cancer survivor on November 19th, 2008, when I was diagnosed with Aggressive Burkitts-like Lymphoma." I don't know. For some reason that made me feel more tangibly like I could beat this thing -- and that I probably already am.

After our buzzer buzzed, we went back down to the infusion center (the Land o' Grady), got our vitals taken again. I was a fall risk yet again due to my light-headedness, and got the little red sticker on my arm band indicating such. My blood pressure has been low due to my anemia (low RBC/hematocrit)... around 100/65.

We went to our chair and then waited another hour for them to get my paperwork in order. See the theme here? We met a very kind nurse and she gave me some topical lidocaine creme before they accessed my port. Guys, the needle is 3/4" long that they stick in your chest! Right through your fleshy tissue. So this time it wasn't as bad as in the past. Thank you, ma'am.

We sat there for 2.5 hours while the saline and platelets were getting pumped into me. Platelets, which are about 1/10th the size or normal cells, help your blood clot. Hence, my nosebleeds should abate. They are a pale yellow color and the bag looked like a lemon creme sauce.

After the bag of platelets emptied, I started to get a weird sensation on the back of my thighs. Itching. It got worse. And then worse. I tried to scratch a little and then put it out of my mind, but I wasn't so skilled. I then got red bumps all over that area. Then it spread to my arms. It was HIVES! YES! The nurse said that often times people have an allergic reaction to blood products. I got a Benadryl pill and things got better over the course of the afternoon.

We left Emory and got home around 4pm. Wow. Another 'full' day fighting cancer.

One thing I remark on every time I am sitting in the Clinic waiting room is that human sickness is indiscriminate with respect to so many things we typically see as differentiators. It's a great equalizer, or sorts. There are people from multiple races, nationalities, genders, ages, and levels of monetary wealth -- all sitting together in one waiting room, wearinng the same silly armbands, all hoping for the same thing: wellness.

I like to study people intently as I sit there. I note who the patient is, and who the caregiver is. How might they be related? Are they there alone? Do they look like they are in pain? Do they have their hair? Why might they be there? Have they been coming a long time or are they newly-diagnosed?

The rich and the poor, the young and the old, the white and the black and everyone in between, the well-prepared and the ill-prepared, the ignorant and the enlightened, the judicious and the carefree... all somehow got sick and are all sitting there, trying to fix what's wrong. We're not macroeconoic statistics that describe incidence rates and remission rates-- we are all just individual people trying to be healed and live and long, healthy life.

11 comments:

Vanessa said...

Hope the platelets make you feel better, they usually did for me. I had the same reaction to them as you did. Next time they want to give you platelets, ask for the Benedryl before so it will have a little time to kick in and they won't be so bad. Praying for your strength everyday!

David, Jenny, Jack and Victor said...

Wow, your writing is really good. I feel as though I am there with you in the waiting room. In return:

From my desk I can see the chimney of the crematorium at Salem Funeral Home, right across the street from the townhouse where Jenny lived during her senior year of college, the destination on the day I drove her newly smaller family in the back of Vic Sr's Lincoln from Reidsville slowly, on the way to make arrangements for Lisa's cremation and memorial. The other day as I noticed a new batch of heat pour out the stack, I was reminded of your story about attending the ceremony of our good friend's father, and how hot you said it was in that room. When I see the blurry air above that chimney, rising, usually around 10 in the morning, I am grateful for another day.

Stuart, there is no doubt that you can beat this and you are beating it. Thank you for your stories-- this is the first and last place I visit each day, and always in prayer for you and your family.

ReichT said...

I hope this folly stays with me too.

Jon and Amanda said...

I have leaky eyes too! We had some yummy black bean and rice burritos last night-- you would have loved them. I'm glad they give you a warning sticker about your low blood pressure- I've passed out in the most embarrassing places before.

Kelle Ortiz said...

you are our inspiration! we love you very much!

Jeff said...

Stuart--

If you can't find a phlebotomist with a soft enough touch, I can offer my services. I worked at Vandy in High School as a phlebotomist so I'm sure the skill would come rushing back 15 years later! You might think that it would be difficult for me to get to Atlanta from L.A. .....but I own a transporter machine from Star Trek. Quite Handy! Glad to see you are doing well and still a master of the english language despite all the drugs being pumped into your system. Very Impressive. Chrissy & I will continue to pray for you!

Aida Rita said...

There is not doubt in my mind that you are a cancer survivor, I would not expect less from you.
We are praying everyday and thinking about you and Candace. Interesting thing is that I always go back to your wedding day -- I have never seen a groom so in love and emotional as his bride was walking down the aisle. IT WAS SUCH A BEAUTIFUL MOMENT.

We are sending all of our love.

Martha said...

You kids had an inside joke about golf balls at your romantic wedding on the lake. I never did find out what that was all about. Everything was so beautiful that day.
My family is yearning to have you restored to us as healthy as before, yet you bless us with your testimony and we need it. You minister to us through your faith and courage, Stuart.

Myr and Hollie said...

Stu, go Deacs! I enjoyed watching the game with you (well, you were in ATL, but I knew we were both watching it). They're looking pretty strong, but they've got nothing on you. Good to have round 2 behind us. I hope each one is a little easier as you and the doctors figure out what reactions you have. Have a great weekend and Go Titans! :(

Ah yes, the inside joke about golf balls. We thought it'd be funny to shake stu's hand and hand him a golf ball as we each came down to line up. Eventually he'd have to figure out what to do with them b/c he was going to have 8 of them and they certainly wouldn't all fit in his pocket. I made a really funny joke about my golf ball, then Stuart threw mine into the lake, meanie. Also we wrote on them, one word per ball. I forget the phrase, maybe Stuart or Candace can remind us.

Candace and Stuart said...

The golf balls said "God Bless you on this very special day"
Stu had 8 golf balls in his pockets as we said our vows.

Martha said...

....how cool is that...."God Bless You On This Very Special Day." Today. As Always, Stuart and Candace!