Monday, June 29, 2009

DAY 184: PET/CT today...

I am fasting in preparation of my PET/CT at 2pm today. The goal of this scan is to confirm that there is 'no evidence of disease' in my body. It will become the baseline for all future scans and a confirmation that the chemo eradicated the cancer.

In the mirror last night, and in just the right light, I saw little baby blond eyelashes and eyebrows starting to bud! Also getting a lot of peach fuzz on my chin and head! This is very exciting, since I have less hair that most newborns at this point. Very curious to see how things come in... but am thrilled that there is life within me, pushing things outward! Yes!

It was a beautiful but hot weekend and Candace and I spent a lot of time outdoors. Since I will be at an elevated risk of skin cancer for the rest of my life (aww man!), I have to lather up with 50 SPF pretty much everywhere. I managed not to get burned, but I can tell that my casper-white skin is very sensitive to the sun's rays. I love being outside, so this will be interesting...

Still getting my energy back slowly, but had to take a few days off from the YMCA. My legs made me do it. They are soooo sore-- feels like cramps in my calves. I guess this is a good sign, so I'll keep pushing it.

Candace and I are thinking about St. Augustine, FL for a possible mini-vacation before I return to work. Anyone who has been there, feel free to chime in on advice/reactions!

Happy summer to all!

10 comments:

Vanessa said...

So glad to hear you are feeling good! Will be praying for your scans today!

Myrna said...

I'm not sure if you know them, but Anna and Jared Swofford just moved to St. Augustine and they love it down there. If you go, eat at Colombia Restaurant. We'll pray for you at 2!

Marty Reardon said...

It is so good to hear you are doing well and getting better with each passing day. You should definitely go on vacation!

Martha said...

St. Augustine; see the old town and fort and the alligator farm. Try permutational bidding on Priceline for a great hotel room. Drive up to the Ponte Vedra Beach area. Check the Navy website and print out the exact times of low tides and go find great shells. You sound great and everything is looking up for you two.

Meghan said...

Zack and I are THRILLED to hear how well you are doing!

Looking forward to more good news.

Kelly said...

Hope your scans went well and there is no sign of disease in your body! Yeah for the baby blond hair coming in! St. Augustine is gorgeous! That is where I want to live! The historic district is my favorite part and they have a great Mexican restaurant right in the heart of it over looking the water!Since you are a tennis fan go to Ponte Vedra (home of ATP)!

Jim Barnes said...

Stu:

Excellent funky shops and restaurants. Try Gypsy Cab Co. Restaurant - been around forever and the menu suits you => gypsycab.com. Also, try 95 Cordova @ the Casa Monica Hotel => recipient of a Florida Trend Golden spoon award for excellence.

Good suggestions re side trip to PV - go up via U.S. A1A.

Have fun!

Jane Joiner said...

Jerry and I had a condo in St. Augustine for a few years. I can tell you everything you need to know. We absolutely love the area called Crescent Beach. Cowboy's Salt Water REstaurant is one of our favorite places in the world.
Drop by and see our old friend Janet Goodrich if you see her Goodrich'es real estate office on Crescent beach. There is a beautiful park with gorgeous gardens south of crescent beach. Can't think of the name of it but I loved hanging out there. Marine Land is nice.

ReichT said...

Saltwater Cowboys for sure! Anne grew up going to the beach in St. Augustine. If you go there, be sure to get a seat outside overlooking the marsh where you can see all of the feral cats fighting, and if he's still around, you may likely see the local racoon who is unafraid to jump up onto the deck for scraps!
*Food is great too, btw.

Unknown said...

When are you planning to go to St Augustine? We live there and can make some calls and get you into some attractions for free! I dont want to post my ph # but if you will call William Mayberry he can give you our number and we can talk! :)
We have been following your blog and can tell you that you have been an inspiration to us. We are sooo happy for you.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Rick and Debbie