Wednesday, June 17, 2009

DAY 172: Counts are UP (again)!

So we spent about 30 minutes of quality time today with Tiger Woods, MD. We asked all the questions we could think of: how long will the ports stay in? When will I get scanned? Will the neuropathy last forever? What about the leg fatigue? What's causing my congestion? How often need I return to the clinic? Yadda yadda yadda.

I will keep my chest port in for about a year. The brain port can come out in 3-6 months. I will get my baseline post-chemo PET/CT scan in 3 months. The neuropathy should slooooowly improve. The leg fatigue is mainly from the high-dose steriods I had to take and he encouraged me to try to walk 15 minutes each day, adding 5 minutes each week. We took a chest x-ray to see if the congestion is pneumonia... but I doubt it will be. I have to return to the clinic once a month to have my chest port flushed with saline and heparain. Sounds easy enough to me.

In addition to this chat, we got blood work and learned that my counts have come up nicely since last week! He was pleased, as were we. (Whites at 7.9, Hematocrit at 31%, Platelets at 98k). The latter two levels are still low, but they are trending in the right direction!

7 comments:

David, Jenny, Jack and Victor said...

Great news!! One day at a time.

Annabelle said...

Stuart, it's so great to hear the news. Praise God! It was also wonderful to see/hear you back at the drums on Sunday. Hooray!!

Marty Reardon said...

Stu,

It was such a pleasure to play worship with you this past Sunday. I pray it is the first of many such opportunities as you mend and heal and rest. I honestly did not know you were suffering from nerve damage in our hands b/c you played as if you have been playing all the while.

You are an inspiration to me and I am honored to call you friend.

Be well,

Marty

aartwb.blogspot.com said...

Stuart - So glad all is going so well with you. What a victorious story you tell every day! So amazing! God Bless!
Carol and the Byrds

Martha said...

You played for church? What a guy! God is blessing you and Candace. I love your witness and stories.

Sam's Mum said...

Every new day is a blessing and a step closer to renewed health. Keep up the good work!!!

Martha said...

Hope you kids are having a good week. Have you been out pulling weeds in the garden yet?