Tuesday, June 23, 2009

DAY 178: Baby steps... and many of them...

I have been on the up-and-up for a few days now! No more masks in public, no nausea, no sleep problems, no bone pain, no dizziness... you get the point. I only have two lingering distractions: a little numbness in my fingers and toes, for which I am taking a B-vitamin complex, significant overall fatigue/weakness, and some throat congestion that won't seem to leave me alone.

It's time to start rebuilding my strength so I made a commitment to go to the YMCA every day. I started this yesterday and had the goal of walking for 15 minutes. I'm not talking about speed-walking here... just slow walking.

After three minutes, I started to feel my legs quiver. After five minutes, I was about ready to fall over. I limped the last few minutes, but was able to keep going for all 15. My pulse was 140. I'm going to measure it each time, to see how it (hopefully) drops. Most people don't get a pulse of 140 without some sort of aerobic activity!

Today, after my walk, I sat on the exercise bike for a few minutes on zero resistance. Felt pretty good! I think I'll work that in.

Still not able to jog or run-- which means no softball-- but I get just about as much pleasure as an onlooker in the meantime.

Over the weekend, Candace and I were able to drive to Nashville (my home town) and visit my family and a close friend. It was great: it had been six months since I've been able to do any sort of travel. I love Nashville. What a great town.

My two Burkitt's buddies are still in the thick of it: one started his 5th round today, after having to endure another re-admission delay due to low platelets. His first child is due any days now. Whoa. The second guy just completed his 8th round and will need one more. He started with 2 rounds of R-CHOP (which did nothing), then got 3 rounds of hyper-CVAD (which did nothing) and then got put on a new regimen called CODOX-M/IVAC-R. This is the big leagues of chemo so please pray that he gets into remission and does not need a stem cell transplant. Both of these guys are real troopers and I am honored to keep in touch with them as they finish out the battle with the beast.

I am trying to figure out just when I'll be able to go back to work full-time. I could probably work part-time in the office right now, but getting on a plane or working all day, every day, just seems a little daunting given my low energy. I need to be reminded that this down time as I feel increasingly better is time to be cherished, as it may never happen again! I know, I know... just being stubborn and want to 'keep moving'!

Here are some photos... just for fun.

PS- looks like I'll get a PET/CT scan sooner rather than later, after all. The doc wants one. Hope it's all clear, as we'd expect.




6 comments:

Blog Strong said...

So happy to hear that you're feeling well and on the up and up. It's amazing how quickly chemo tears the body down (The Dex really is especially nasty stuff), but I promise you it's equally amazing how quickly the body rebuilds it's strength.

This weekend I was up on the shores of Lake Superior and able to walk a couple of miles down the beach and stand in a bouncing boat for a few hours. A couple of months ago, I never would have expected to feel so well at this point. You'll start regenerating some red blood cells and feel like a million bucks in no time.

My counts will be on the dive for a while here. Big bag of cytoxin and spinal tap today as well as beginning the self-administered cytarabine tonight. I'm just happy to keep moving on and get this over with.

I hope you and Candace are doing well, and know that your fellow Burkitt's fighters are in my thoughts with good vibes headed their way.

-Sam

P.S. What do you do for a living that you need to fly every day???

Martha said...

You precious thing. You're just the best. I loved the photos; you look good, saw the halo over your head. Could you bat the ball and let someone else run??

ReichT said...

Hey Stuart,

Thanks for the update. Great to hear you are on the up and up! I will never think of my workouts the same- keep up the good work at the YMCA! *Nice profile pic on Linked In too!

Todd

Kelly said...

Congrats! The no mask in public and not being sick all the time is great news!! The pulse thing, well hopefully that will get better for you! So, proud of you for walking the full 15 min! Keep it up!

David, Jenny, Jack and Victor said...

Hang in there buddy

Aida Rita said...

Very happy to hear that you are feeling much better. God is good !