Thursday, June 4, 2009

DAY 159: Riding it out (one more time)...

So I'm home from what I really, really hope is my last round of chemo forever. Feels great to be here. I don't feel good... but there is hope and excitement in knowing that this should be my last 'dip'.

I have made two trips to the clinic already this week and will go again tomorrow. I got blood, platelets, and IV fluids, and may need another cocktail tomorrow depending on the blood work. My white blood cells (immune system) are wiped out and I hope to come out of hiding sometime next week when they rise back to a safe level.

Luckily, the French Open tennis tourney is on TV for about 6 hours a day, so no secrets what I'm up to to distract myself.

Our softball team won our first game on Tuesday, despite coming in as an underdog. It will probably be quite some time before I get to play, but at least I can watch (and trash-talk) in the meantime.

Two things for which I am really thankful: appetite and sleep.

I weigh 185 pounds right now vs. about 195 when I was diagnosed. How amazing is it that I didn't lose or gain a ton of weight during this chemo process? I meet and hear of many people that have countless problems with their appetite and GI-tract that it really impacts their treatment. Whew.

As for sleep, I've been able to avoid taking any sort of medication for sleeping assistance, because I generally fall asleep well. When I get bone and leg pain, I often wake up several times at night, but for the most part -- both in and out of the hospital -- I have rested well. I can't imagine how it feels to be sleep-deprived on top of everything else. Whew, again.

So long as I avoid an infection over the next 5 days or so, I may be able to 'start' the long road to recovery! Wooooo-hooooo!

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Hope you are having a good day and that your days get better and better. I also hope that your white blood counts are coming up. It was really great to see you at the game Tuesday night! You have done so well!

Blog Strong said...

Congratulations on finishing up!

I'm just watching the Sandlot, which seems all too appropriate with you're excitement about trash talk and playing softball. I played a bit of basketball the other day and felt about as Athletic as Scotty Smalls in the beginning of the movie...

All right, a bit of trash talk:

You're softball team may have one, but I can't help but note that the Wisconsin Brew Crew shutout your Atlanta Braves 4-0 last night. Series score: Wisco 1, Atlanta 0. You better bet I'll be watching with keen interest and pride the next couple of nights.

Take Care, Buddy,

Sam

Jim Barnes said...

Stu:

I can help you out with that 10 pound deficit - As soon as your white count is up, fish tacos are on me.

Hang in there!

Jim