Monday, June 8, 2009

DAY 163: Bone Pain! A good sign...

Dang, that bone pain is really awkward. I can't accurately describe it, so I won't even try. Just know that it's really a strange experience! The bone pain is an indication that the bone marrow is being stimulated to produce white blood cells. For this reason, I have come to CELEBRATE this bone pain! I celebrate it as a writhe in it. It hopefully means I am about to leave the 'cave' of neutropenia someday soon.

At the clinic on Sunday, blood work confirmed that my tank is still low. I needed 4 infusions (1 of fluids, 1 of platelets, and 2 units of red blood). When I realize that my platelets are less than one-tenth of the low end of an average range, and my oxygen-carrying red blood cells are less than half an average male, I give myself a little more slack for being puny. Just need to be patient and ride it out.

I head back to the clinic tomorrow (5th time since my last discharge) to see where things stand. Really hoping for some positive trends, but we'll see.

Softball game Tuesday night, at which I will be cheering and jeering from the sidelines with my mask on, per usual. Can't wait.

This update is all business. Sorry - not too creative at the moment... not enough oxygen getting to the brain!

3 comments:

Blog Strong said...

I also celebrate the 'ole bone pain -- and am one of the few who knows exactly how indescribable it is...

My Hemoglobin's higher than ever right now -- hangin' in around 12 -- and I can assure you that when you get some oxygen carrying capacity back it feels amazing. I'm back to biking to work for the time being (Katie won't let me bike to chemo despite my desire), and enjoying every minute of it. You'll be back there -- and out on the softball field in no time.

Hope tomorrow's bloodwork shows some positive trends!

-Sam

Candace and Stuart said...

Bone pain - woo hoo! I love you man.

Findyourdrug_pain said...

This disease is painful and people suffering from it suffers greatly by the constant pain caused by taking medications that are opioid narcotics such as Lortab , Vicodin, hydrocodone , which are very effective in suppressing the pain that causes the disease, we hope that people care and know findrxonline adequately informed as well as notes on your site.