Friday, May 29, 2009

DAY 153: 38 mins more of chemo...

I am sitting alongside what is to be my last dose of chemo. The infusion pump reads 'time remaining: 38 mins'. This drug, Cytarabine, can cause neurological problems, so they make you sign and print your name every once in a while to make sure wires aren't getting crossed.

When I started chemo on Dec 29, the trees were bare, there were no fresh blooms, and the sky was gray. Today, however, it's a beautiful, colorful, vibrant sunny day in the early summer in Atlanta, and I'm soon approaching a finish line that, often times, I thought would never come. For that reason, I don't know how to characterize how I feel. What I do know is that I am very, very content and peaceful. I feel as though I have been sustained for the last 153 days by the grace of God Almighty, the love of friends and family, and the tender care of nurses. It has taken an army.

'34 mins' now.

I don't have the urge to rush to pack up the room and run out the door. I feel most comfortable just sitting here in silence and closing my eyes, thinking about how loved and cared for I am. Thankful for so many things.

'31 mins'.

So I'll soak in this final half-hour doing just that.

14 comments:

ReichT said...

looks like you are not neurotic. congrats! hope to keep following. heading to Malaya to pick up our dinner.

Martha said...

Soak it up, baby; you are on Holy ground. You have been at the foot of the Cross! Praise God, Amen.

Kelle Ortiz said...

These last couple of posts have made me tear up. I need a good laugh now. Can you and Shane sit with me and just 'talk'? That always gets me laughing.

Unknown said...

Stuart,

This is Dutch from Garden's Edge Landscaping. I was looking to see if I could find information on you and just came across your blog. My wife, kids, and I have been praying for you since December. I am amazed that the Lord allowed me to find your blog on your last day of chemo. My family was glad to get to see you so they can put a face with their prayers now. I pray that the Lord continues to touch you and your family in a mighty way!
Let me know if we can help in any way.

Dutch

770-926-7486
Dutch@gardensedgelandscaping.com

Joel and Katie said...

Hallelujah for the last dose of chemo!!

Meghan said...

This post was so powerful. Like shivery goosebumpy makes the hair on the back of one's neck stand up good.

And to think that now, you're already done.

Done.

And to that I say Well done.

Praise the Lord.

David, Jenny, Jack and Victor said...

Hooray!! Just in time for Ragbrai.

Kelly said...

Congratulations! You are home now which I am sure feels amazing!

Mike M said...

God Bless you, Stuart. Praise God for his tender mercies. My wife and I will continue to pray for you.

Myr and Hollie said...

Hooray, all done!! Look forward to seeing you SOON!

Blog Strong said...

Congratulations, Buddy. I am more happy than you know to hear that you are done. Enjoy the peace, the finish line, the love. Savor every minute of it.

Sam

Sam's Mum said...

Well done!!! Now concentrate on getting your strength back. You're going to find that from this moment on time is going to fly. Fill it with all the things you love to do and above all...Enjoy!!! We send our best to you and Candace. What a journey you've both been through.

Unknown said...

I didn't realize we started chemotherapy on the same day! Man, I'm more than ecstatic to hear that you're done, brother!

Hope to see you in labs Wednesday! Man, that sounds fun. Hah! My appointment is at 9:50 for the phlebotomists.

Congratulations! I'm celebrating your finish as if it were my own! Woo!!!

Lil' Katie said...

Congratulations Stu! It gives me so much hope to see you making it to the finish line-and knowing how great you and Candace have handled this whole journey. I can't wait for Sam and I to get there! I hope you get to go outside soon and enjoy your beautiful Atlanta summer! Congrats!