Wednesday, January 7, 2009

DAY 9: Leaky joints... flat-out...

In the words of the great teeny-bopping poetic genius of our time, “Oops, I did it again.” (-B.S.) I have managed to let another few days pass since I proffered a check-in. My apologies. The consistent pattern seems to be that I wake up generally feeling ok, with good intention of cataloguing at some point that day… but then things inevitably change. A wild ride commences, over which I seemingly have little (or no) influence.

Let me bring us current, as best I can. Monday morning started with a requisite visit to the Emory Clinic. The Clinic is an outpatient center, across from the main hospital where I stayed, where people come for check-ins, lab work, and various infusion services (blood and platelet transfusions, outpatient chemos, fluids, etc). At 8:30am, this place was a sheer cattle call. People everywhere, most of them sickly and puny-looking (I include myself in this grouping). Median age: probably 60.

There was a general buzz about the room. The intake process consists of filling out some paperwork, and then taking a seat (or a lean against the wall) in the waiting room area for an unspecified amount of time until your name was called (yelled) by a very portly (don’t mistake with jolly) man named Grady. He was like the Disgruntled Emory Clinic MC, of sorts. Grady had a bald head and a heavy beard and would seem to get very frustrated every time he would yell a name and get no immediate response. “Powell…?” “POWELL????” Then some frail old lady, barely in earshot, would realize her number was up and would attempt to stave off the next accusatory lancing. By individual facial reactions, I would wager that this was the first time many people realized that their very own namesake could be used as an invective. I was sure to listen for “Smartt”. And when they called it about an hour later, I was ready.

They took me back and accessed my port for the first time since I was discharged. This consisted of pulling off the steri-strips (the incision is tender and still healing), poking on it to confirm the type and location of the access points, and then sticking a plastic casing with a curved needle into it in one smooth motion. Prick. Once in, they tape it up to keep me from ripping it out with an incidental arm movement, and then hook up a tube to plug in whatever the soup of the day need be. They took two vials of blood, and promptly sent me back out into the waiting room. The Land of Grady. Another hour-long wait, and the lab work was complete and they brought us back into the infusion area.

What I neglected to mention thus far is how miserable I was feeling that morning. I have learned that so long as I am on my back or lying down, I feel more or less stabilized. Conversely, when I am sitting, standing, walking, or in a car, I feel like the place is on wheels. My vision starts to play tricks on me. Not a fun feeling. As a result, I was a ‘fall risk’ in the clinic, meaning I got a special red sticker on my arm band that indicated such a distinguished privilege.

We spent the rest of the day – and I mean the rest of the day – sitting in a chair in the infusion center, among other elderly and cancer patients. Most of the day was spent waiting on someone to hear back from my doctor on what to do next. I was given a bag of IV fluids, a shot called Neulasta to stimulate my white blood cell growth, and a cup of Coke. (Note that I have been told by more than a handful of RNs and MDs that good ol’ Coke is the best thing for a variety of symptoms. I am still skeptical but will acquiesce for now.)

The ride home from the Clinic at the end of the day was pretty tough. It’s certainly not a straight shot from our home to Emory: lots of curves and turns. It’s also humbling not to be able to drive myself anywhere. Candace has continued to be the most unbelievable helper and caregiver one could imagine. She is truly a gift to me. I am so grateful.

Monday night our pastor Kris came over and gave me a ceremonial haircut. (He's not gifted in this area, but had access to some clippers) They told me that hair-loss is a lot more manageable when the hair falling out is already short, as it comes out it clumps. So Kris gave me a nice buzz. Feels great. He’s a big-picture guy, so we still need to go back in and trim around the edges, if you know what I mean.
Tuesday, Day 9, was a truly wild one. I woke, again, feeling decent, but all that changed when my migraines and nausea returned. It just creeps up on me out of nowhere. Different, this time, was that lying down on my back didn’t seem to abate things. I got to the point where I took a pain pill (my first on thus far – as I try to avoid them) they had prescribed me. It knocked me out considerably, but didn’t really help stop the madness. I was on my back, in the middle of the afternoon, and all of the sudden got a pretty violent vomiting attack. Came out of nowhere, with no warning. In one three-mintue fit, there went all my food and liquids. I was instantly dehydrated and knew that IVs would be needed to return me to stabilized levels. We called Emory and they told us to head to the ER. While I wanted to get back to Emory’s ER, which would make a possible re-admission more streamlined, I was unable to stay in the car any longer than I absolutely had to. Thus, we limped a few miles away to Piedmont (where this journey started with my Appendectomy!).

To make a long story short, prevailing medical thinkers suspect that the many failed lumbar punctures from last Tuesday are the culprit for most of my migraines. Gravity takes over and the spinal fluid leaks when standing or sitting, as opposed to lying down. Other than ‘riding it out’, a procedure called a blood patch was suggested, whereby they try to essentially plug the leaky spinal hole with my own blood… but since I have multiple holes and a delayed response, we’re somewhat forced into a wait-and-see pattern. We were at the Piedmont ER from 5pm until 2am. It was a long, slow night. We ended up getting another round of lab work, a cranial CT scan, and 3 more large bags of IV fluids. We went home and crashed.

Today is a new day and I’m glad we’re moving forward!

12 comments:

corrie said...

Thanks so much for the update- we all saw pics of your hair and we love it- the girls loved the mohawk look. Even though we have been unable to do things for you guys, (with us being sick the last month) we want you to know that we talk about you every night with the girls and the girls pray every morning for you-much love and prayer from the Madlem's. Isn't God so good to give us new days to start afresh- I pray that his peace and healing would be on you today.

Martha said...

Stuart and Candace, it's good to be able to stop by here and check on you. Stuart, I look forward to your book and your movie of this experience. You are a gifted writer and a comedian. I remember that Thanksgiving in Vail when you passed by the table full of waitresses counting out their tips and you sat down with them wanting your cut. You are a treasure!

Kelly said...

Sorry you are going through this rough patch right now. I hope it becomes smoother sailing here on out.

Rick C said...

Stuart - I really really appreciate your updates and dedication to keeping us "in the know" with your life. You are one amazing individual and I can't think of anyone more prepared on this planet to face this challenge. As Martha pointed out, your writing is incredible and helps us really "be there" with you. I've said many prayers for you and will keep saying many more. Stay strong and while I have yet to meet Candace, I know she is equally heroic in this experience.

ReichT said...

Still checking in on you Stu,

Good to see you are in good spirits. Good thing you are familiar with the long, windy, bumpy commute to Emory getting your MBA! All that hard work helped keep up your writing skills. Praying for you, and appreciate the honest, open updates.

Todd

Kris McDaniel said...

Stu, You are loved by us. And for the record I think your haircut looks awesome. I'd like to meet the person who did it. From the pics on Candace's blog one can tell that he's clearly a multitalented (and exceptional) individual:)

Marty Reardon said...

I hope you got your money back for that haircut! ;)

We love you and Candace immensely and offer to cut her hair so it matches yours if she (or you) desire it.

Myr and Hollie said...

Stu,
Sorry to hear your past few days have been so crazy. Hopefully as your body gets more acclimated to the routine things will settle down. Shoot us an update about the little doggies if you get a chance :)
Love you bro

gtwreck98 said...

Just checking in on you buddy. You really do need to consider writing a book - you've got a gift my friend!

(you're blog has "big, big buzz!")

matt

Annabelle said...

Stuart and Candace, we're praying for you and thinking of you. God bless you, and show you his mercy and peace.

David, Jenny, Jack and Victor said...

What music are you listening to these days, if at all?

Sam's Mum said...

Hi, Stuart. I just want to thank you for all the support, encouragement, and true inspiration you are giving to Sam. He speaks of you often. He and all of his family are also right there alongside you and your wife as you travel along in your journey to beating the living daylights out of cancer. Be strong and live strong!!