Thursday, January 1, 2009

DAY 4: Baby steps...

Just had my 10 steroids, so it's time to blog. I have found that I get energy for about an hour, and then the fall comes.

Today I had my 6th and final hyper-fractionated (i.e. more than one dose per day) Cytoxan drip for this cycle -- so we will claim a small vicotry while we can. Three days in the bag. The past is now behind us and the future is not yet real, so we sit in the present and marvel and how we're continually carried foward by God's grace and support.

I also am having two chemo drugs tonight for the very first time. I had Vincristine at 9pm and it was a rapid 10-minute infusion. Now, I just started on a 24-hour drip of Doxorubicin. My prayer, yet again, is that these chemicals be 100% lethal to the cancer, yet 100% life-giving to the rest of me. I am supposed to have a Cytarabine spinal tap tomorrow, but since I am still on a blood thinner called Heparin and they massacred my lumbar area on Tuesday, we may punt until Saturday. I am hoping we punt altogether... but will go with the flow. You can only have so many holes poked in your spine before things start to get dicey.

Well the prior 36 hours were pretty slow. I didn't really get on my feet from yesterday around 9:30am until tonight around 7pm. I eeked out 2 slow laps this evening... and that was about all I could handle. But when I cannot walk, the Lord carries me. That heart condition really knocked me down for a bit. With no exaggeration, I had more medications put in my body yesterday in one single day than I have over the cumulative total of my first 31years of life. Staggering thought. After seeing the ball drop, I slept on and off throughout the night somewhat well. I woke up to nasuea in the middle of the night, and they gave me Ativan to quell that and anxiety along with a kidney drug. (We did have 2 helicoptor landings. It made me think that there were some people who had a more unique New Year that even I did!)

Today I realized that I've become hyper-sensitive to all foods, especially hot ones. If something hot comes in the room, I immediately want it removed. Some colder foods, too, make me a little queasy. Those of you who are fond of my penchant for warm foods will find this hard to believe! My diet today consisted of rice krispies cereal, organic sugar-free applesause, and water. It was enough to keep me going. It's a moving target, but the name of the game is: if it doesn't repulse me, then eat it when I can.

There are some words from a book in the Bible, Philippians 4:6-7, that have carried me through some hard moments in the past few days, and it's written on our whiteboard in the room:

"Help me Lord not to be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present my requests to you. And your peace, which transcends all understanding, will guard my heart and mind in Jesus Christ."

In the past days, these promises have now come to life to me, because they are as real as real can be. These aren't just feel-good buzz words that we pull out of our back pocket when we're in a pickle. They represent one of several small pieces of the larger truth that governs the world in which we ALL live. Whether we recognize the existence of somthing or not, that doesn't change whether or not it really is, indeed, Truth! Crazy thought, huh?

The Lord has heard my cry out for Mercy and He has responded resoundingly. For that, I am so very grateful. His promises to me, and you, never come up empty.

My heartfelt gratitude goes out tonight to each of you, as friends and loved-ones, who are walking alongside me this time in life. Your prayers, words, time, and thoughts are selfless and shroud me in even more layers of love and protection. This is just what I need.

20 comments:

jaypercival said...

God be with you tonight. Tara and I are reading and praying. Love you very much.

Jon and Amanda said...

We love you Stuart! Praying you are filled with peace, and sleep well tonight.

Dick Bowley said...

Stuart,
You and Jesus can do all things. He gives you strength! You are my new hero. I am praying for you. I will be in the hospital tomorrow and hope to see you and pray with you.

"For I know the plans I have for you Stuart, declares the Lord. Plans for welfare and not for calamity, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Dick.

Lani said...

We are praying as you and Candace and the doctors press on. May you rest well tonight and may the peace and calm of Jesus shower you.

Blog Strong said...

Hey Stuart,

Hang in there buddy. It sounds like the current treatment is hitting you rather hard but just remember, the cancer is suffering more than you. I hope this helps you find some comfort.

If it makes you feel better, the vincristine and doxorubicin have been rather easy on me. I hope you respond the same. I'll be in for my 6th blast of vincristine in 7 weeks tomorrow. One of the worst side effects of vincristine is losing the feeling in your feet and hands, but this is cumulative so you won't need to worry about it for a while (also, this seems inconsequential in relation to what you've gone through so far.)

Thinking of you and sending all my best vibes. Out with 2008 the year of diagnosis, and in with 2009, the year of killing cancer and rebuilding.

-Sam

David, Jenny, Jack and Victor said...

Dude, you're doing great!

Just remember to crystallize in the 2AR.

Mike M said...

Stuart, My wife and I pray for you and your wife daily. We are friends and neighbors of your aunt and uncle in Maryville, TN

God Bless,
Mike and Linda

Kris McDaniel said...

Stu,

We love you and are praying for you in our house. Thanks for posting so often and for sharing your experiences with us. Every time I think "I wonder how Stu's doing this afternoon? or "Has anything new happened?" .... All I need to do is come to your blog! Thanks. It gives us much to chew on and more clarity with with to pray. God be with you, my dear friend. My wife and I, along with the kids, love you very much. You are prayed for daily in the McDaniel household.

Andrea Powell said...

Hey Stuart. Thanks so much for posting these blogs. Shannon has kept me up to date to some degree, but it is so awesome to be able to read how you are doing.
Please know that I am praying for you, Candace, and your family. I love your prayer that the chemo be 100% lethal to the cancer and 100% life-giving to you.:-) It is so encouraging to hear how the Lord is carrying you through this. He is soooo faithful!
Blessings,
Andrea

Kelly said...

Stu, as always you inspire me! You are amazing. I hope you get some sleep tonight. Love you!

Lora said...

praying for you
Lora in Charlotte

Susan said...

Peace be with you Stuart.

David, Jenny, Jack and Victor said...

Here is a nice song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gq6yJ0uJAg&feature=PlayList&p=32BADB58CCB40792&index=4

Marty Reardon said...

Stu,

That hot food thing is very funny! Although, probably not as funny to you. I am sorry bro.

I am here if you need me to go into work for you at any point during all this. I have always wanted to...what is it you do again? ;)

Andy Rocha said...

Gosh, Amanda and I didn't know we loved you and Candace so much. We pray/cry/thank God/everything else for you guys daily. When this is all over you will need to go back to work, so please don't let Marty cover for you.

David Carr said...

Stuart,

You are amazing my friend! I am left speechless by your faith and trust in the good work of God in your life. I can only imagine what you are experiencing through all of this. My prayers are with you and I love you.

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing your journey with us. We continue to pray for you. We are blessed by your walk with Jesus. Praying the peace of Christ continue to fill you and keep you.

Much Love,
Virginia and John

aartwb.blogspot.com said...

Hey Stuart, I'm thinking and praying for you and your wonderful family daily. Thank you so much for keeping us up to date. All your words and acts of courage are monumentally useful to those who read it. God Bless!
Carol Byrd, SI

Martha said...

Stuart and Candace, one text that really helps me is in Job: "Though He slay me, yet will I trust in Him." Stay strong. I'm glad you have each other.

Unknown said...

Thank you for the updates. The whole family and I are praying for you everyday. I hope you get relief from these migrains soon.