Saturday, May 16, 2009

DAY 140: A long recovery?

I have had a slow week. Translation: felt pretty crummy. When I was back at the clinic on Friday, we ended up needing not only chemo, but also platelets AND two bags of red blood. My counts are near zero right now, and my other levels were so low that we needed to transfuse.

They keep reminding me that I have had seven rounds of one of the most aggressive chemo regimens out there and that the process is cumulative. Ok, ok. I hear you... finally. I have no choice but to hear them!

The physical sensation of anemia and low counts is hard to describe. Standing for longer than a few minutes is not an option. Basic physical activity is so labored and I get extremely winded. It feels very uncomfortable. Walking up the stairs... a tough task. Walking to the bathroom... a tough task. Going to prepare a glass of water in the kitchen... a tough task. I will have to sit or lie down as soon as possible, and my pulse races. My heart rate becomes the equivalent of yours after you've run for 30 minutes straight, and I have simply walked across the room! It's also a very heavy heartbeat, where I can feel it pulse through my entire body, and even see my clothes bulge out with every beat. A truly unique experience.

I am on my steroid for four days (for the last time). While I haven't shaved in five months, these pills give me some nice white/grey peach fuzz whiskers on my chin. A funny look that I've enjoyed.

I have a friend who went through this same chemo one year before me, for treatment of Burkitt's as well. She gave me some insight into the post-chemo world that was enlightening. She kept her port in for A YEAR. She returned to the clinic for blood work (and to flush the port) every four weeks. She did not get any scans, except for the final one after treatment. They told her that she would know the cancer is back before any scan would!

The most discouraging piece of info she shared was that her blood counts took a full year to recover, and that the average for this hyperCVAD chemo is 9 months. It's just so harmful to the body that it takes quite some time for the 'damage' to wear off. While the Neulasta shot we get is a temporary pop to get us ready for the next round of chemo, when you wait on your body to start naturally producing white blood cells, red blood cells, and platelets, it is a much slower process.

I am telling myself that each person's body is different and mine may react totally differently. This is code for, "I'm gonna heal much quicker than that!!!" Clearly, an empty and unfounded statement, but it's my self-deception for the moment, nonetheless, and I'll run with it!

I just really, really wanna play softball, to be honest!

9 comments:

Kelle Ortiz said...

OMG. I want you to play softball too. We all do. I am praying for miracles. I am praying for quick healing. I am praying for strength to come back quickly.

Marty Reardon said...

We are praying for you. May you find strength. I love you Stu.

Jane Joiner said...

I thought about the grief you must feel not being able to play softball the minute I heard Trinity was forming teams. Next year for sure. I admire you and Candace so.
Did you read the article in AJC about ginger being a proven treatment for chemo nausea? Check it out on www.ajc.com--5-14-09
Hang in there--May the next round be quick and easy and may your body start recovering in a supernatural way.

Vanessa said...

All bodies do respond differently, but hopefully, this will make you feel better...after getting hyperCVAD, ALL my blood counts reached normal within 2 months. I'm still pretty weak 5 months out, but bloodwork is great! Praying for you and Candace!

Martha said...

I'm thankful you have that powerful, energetic brain and that your writing is still fantastic after all this; you leave all us regular folks in the dust saying "duh"? You're awesome!

Myr and Hollie said...

Thanks for sharing Stu. We look forward to seeing you SOON!!!

Candace and Stuart said...

I love your bald head and your port scars and your "horn" and your peach fuzz...and that you need to hang on to me when you walk...
...but I can't wait to see you strong and vibrant - soon, baby, soon!
You inspire me.

David, Jenny, Jack and Victor said...

Hang in there buddy!

Kelly said...

Remember what you said...slow and steady! You are doing so well!! Glad you are almost done with the chemo!