Tuesday, May 19, 2009

DAY 143: Counts coming back up... still weak...

Well my whites are doing their job and are heading up instead of down! YES! This means that I believe I can safely say that we've cleared the woods when it comes to infection risk, and that I am so very excited that I will only have one more nadir where I get exposed again. If they have to rip out my 2nd port and my brain reservoir, then they would probably not have to reinstall them! (Man, that sounds funny, doesn't it?)

I have also checked my steroid off the list as of last night (320 pills in all!). I was on a 10-pill dose, when most people take 4. This steroid was not the kind that builds you up... it's the kind that rips you apart. Nonetheless, I am happy to scratch that one off the list. Only three more drugs to go, and those will all come off the list next week (if all stays 'on schedule'). Can't take that for granted, as my friend was delayed no less than two weeks in his hopes to get back to his next rounds of chemo. I am so grateful that I have been able to keep rolling ahead.

I have been on a short-term disability leave from work, which has been a mixed bag. Pay got cut in half which has put the squeeze on some things, but it will be very nice to have a little time carved out and protected for my recovery in June. I don't think I'll be able to jump back into full work weeks and plane rides as soon as I had originally anticipated. A good thing, I bet. Forced down time!

My birthday is this Friday, May 22. I'll be 32. I don't really get excited about birthdays, because I honestly don't want things/gatherings to be 'all about me'. I really don't. BUT, passing another milestone in age is going to be a new thing for me to celebrate. I used to take birthdays for granted. That was when I thought I was invincible. But having the surprise of cancer at 31, getting past 32 is pretty darn amazing!

8 comments:

Marty Reardon said...

Stu, I am so excited about your birthday!

I am also excited that your final round of this is next week! You have come so far my friend. I am proud of you.

Marty

David, Jenny, Jack and Victor said...

Yep, it's on my calendar too... remember there was that tv show called "thirtysomething"? I never watched a single episode cause it was really just for oldies. Kind of makes you wonder what 32 will bring, nez pas?

ReichT said...

Thanks again for sharing all of this Stuart. I'm praying for improved counts.

Todd

Vanessa said...

Way to go on crossing of Decadron...I hated that one too! Hope you have a wonderful birthday and look forward to many more! Praying for both of you!

Martha said...

Happy Birthday, Stuart! I'm glad you are excited about your birthday. You won't ever complain about the weather again, either. You sound great!

Meghan said...

Zack and I are so thrilled for you and how far you've come and how you have kicked this illness in the ASS.

32. Well done. Blessings.

Kelly said...

Yeah! cutting out the steroids! I hope you celebrate this birthday and do make it all about you...cuz it is you know :) Happy Birthday!

The Mamma said...

Happy Birthday Stu. Hope you have a wonderful day.