Sunday, April 5, 2009

DAY 99: Marriage weekend...

Some friends told us of a great marriage conference/seminar coming to Atlanta this weekend and we had put it on our calendar sevaral weeks ago, not really knowing if we'd be able to physically attend. Well after several crummy days last week, I woke up Friday feeling purdy darn decent (I would call it a minor miracle, in fact) and so we ventued out to the conference.

It was a weekend dedicated to 'loving your spouse like you mean it' and giving your absolute best to your marriage. What made it even more enjoyable was attending alongside two other couples, with whom we are very close. While not everything we heard was new or ground-breaking, sitting alongside your spouse and focusing on nothing other than making your marriage outstanding is a wonderful thing and it pays great dividends in so many ways.

One part that I initially thought was quite awkward was that we were to write a love letter to our spouse. I mean, how contrived is that... it's supposed to be natural and unprovoked, right? Well the only problem was that I cannot tell you the last time I actually did so -- and so I'd say this venue would be just fine.

It was sobering to realize just how hard it is to remember specifically what you were feeling when you first fell in love, even if only ten years ago for me. Layers of life, grief, and time seem to pile on and obscure it all. The good news is that memories eventually started to come back to me with force and then putting words to them became very effortless.

I am as in-love with Candace today as much as I was the moment we met and I first fell in love with her back in 1998. She is a one-and-only divine gift to me, who deserves the VERY BEST I have to give. She is my beloved and it's great to spend time reminding each other of this truth.

Back to the clinic tomorrow for lab work and intra-chemo chemo. I suspect my counts are approaching the nadir, which means I will be doing my no-infection dance tomorrow night if any papparazzi care to try to catch a glimpse from my street corner.

11 comments:

Martha said...

What a guy. What a blessed little couple. I thank God for the privilege of reading each testimony that you write.

lisa engle said...

beautiful post. you two look like extentions of each other when i see you walking hand in hand...and extentions of His precious love. it was so great to see you two at church this morning. my prayers continue for mercy, His will and healing.

Aida Rita said...

You two are the best !!

Jen Reardon said...

You made me cry, Stu. That's absolutely beautiful. I am so glad you guys got to go to the conference... and so jealous, I would love to do something like that sometime. I miss seeing your faces! It's been a while... hey, post your results and I will do some dancing at my house too! love you so much, Jen.

Kelle Ortiz said...

Nothing new? Nothing ground breaking? WHAT?
What about the best darn videos you have ever seen that broke ground in millions of marriages? I mean come on!!! AS our financial advisor/BFF I expect more out of you. Geez. We will take this up later.

Unknown said...

Stuart, thank you for this blog! I am also at Emory, with Dr. Flowers, going through R-Hyper-CVAD, but for sporadic Burkitt's Lymphoma. Luckily, we were able to get it diagnosed properly, after an initial misdiagnosis.

I am scheduled to get the Ommaya reservoir installed on my next hosipital stay, and have used your blog for information, strength and a few laughs here and there- especially the part about scaring kids. :)

I only hope I can be as strong as you and your wife! I should be back in for a "B" regimen sometime within this week (was hoping to make Easter Vigil, but Burkitt's might have other plans). Hopefully I can get something on 8E overlooking the helipad/city again, too! Sometimes the views make the stay worthwhile...

Maybe at some time in the future we'll be in at the same time, and I'll be able to stop in and say hello, or walk a lap or two with you. Without your knowing it, you and your wife's faith have helped me beyond words, my friend.

May the Lord be with you,
Richard

Kelle Ortiz said...

That last comment made me cry. So powerful.

Unknown said...

Hang in there fellow Burkitt's Patient. For those who don't know me my name is Jeff. Stuart and I are 2 of the one hundred diagnosed with Burkitts Lymphoma this year. Although our locations are different, Im in the MW corner of Montana we are also closely related in our battles. Burkitts is our common denominator, we both have the same hope and with God's good grace that we will be cured. IT's not easy to have Cancer and I can tell you first hand that Stuart is fighting a courageous battle. Keep it up Stuart. Candace you must be Much like my April she has seen me through this everyday and is my wife of 16 years.

Ron said...

Stu, You are a role model for what a good husband and partner should be. That's great that you and Candace were able to attend the conference and reflect on the beautiful gift of your marriage. Hope the treatments are going well and you are enjoying the holiday weekend with your family. All the Best! Ron

Martha said...

Happy Easter to all of you!

Kelly said...

Beautiful! Beautiful! There are no other words to describe that!