Sunday, April 19, 2009

DAY 113: Rounding third...

I made it home from Round 6 of chemo and am relaxing nicely in my comfy chair. Today has been really nice-- we were able to go to church this morning, reconnect with some friends we haven't seen in several weeks, and grab a nice lunch. Even better, my father came down from Nashville to help for a few days and having him here is wonderful. I am so happy to have him around.

We had about as uneventful Round 6 as one could ask. No real stories to report. My kidneys seem to do a good job metabolizing the Methotrexate down to a level that allows them to send me home. YEAH FOR GOOD KIDNEYS! The name of the game is hydration: keep things moving through you as quickly as possible.

This past Friday, I found out there was another Burkitt's patient getting the same chemo as I am, and he happened to be on the same floor as we were. What's more ironic, is that he is also a 31-yr old male. Candace and I introduced ourselves and tried to offer whatever words of encouragement we could-- they are on Round 3. The best part was repeating over and over, "Yeah, I know exactly what that's like -- and it sucks, doesn't it!!!"

Thank you to all the generous givers out there who are supporting the Lymphoma-thon. We collectively raised $1,000 and that makes me very proud. I can safely say that this will be the first step in many ways in which I hope to support efforts to bring help and awareness to a clear need. Having a cause is easy when something hits this close to home, right!?

Back to Emory for labs and my Neulasta shot tomorrow at 7:30am. Please-- pray for NO INFECTIONS! If I can make it through this week and next with no infections, I think it will be a huge milestone!

Thank you all so much for reading...

7 comments:

Myr and Hollie said...

Another guy with Burkitts who's also 31? Wow. How did he find his? Another appendix forewarning? Glad #6 is in our past! Look forward to seeing you soon. Myr

Unknown said...

Love to you Stuart and Candace from the Carrs. We are praying for no infection.

Martha said...

My compliments for great kidneys and a prayer for no infection goes out for you. Glad you have Steve there!

Aida Rita said...

So #6 is done, yeah for that. Two more to go !! Hopefully the next rounds will be as uneventful as this one.

David, Jenny, Jack and Victor said...

way to go!

Blog Strong said...

Hey Stuart,

Glad to here you're healthy and back at home. Sometimes a comfy chair is precisely what the doctor ordered after a round of cytoxin and cytarabine.

Two to go and you're home free!

Take 'er easy and avoid those nasty bugs.

Sam

Kelly said...

Glad you are doing well! Thinking about you and Candace.