Thursday, April 23, 2009

DAY 117: Neutropenia and nosebleeds...

Well we have raised more chunks of change for the Lymphomathon! How great! I am so thankful to all of you.

I am enjoying a series of nosebleeds... the kind that start spontaneously (out of both nostrils sometimes) and flow like the Nile. A normal platelet count of 150+ would do the trick, but mine was 26 yesterday. Got a bag of platelets transfused, but I think that only bumped me up to 30-35.

The bloodwork also confirmed that I am neutropenic, so my white blood cell count is negligible, as expected. I haven't left the house today and have been wearing a mask constantly. Feels like being on house arrest sometimes. It beats a 104.6-degree fever and an unplanned hospitalization and unnecessary surgeries, no doubt! It's all about trade-offs.

It was on my last B-round that I got the infection and it was on the Friday of week 2(i.e. tomorrow). So psychologically, if I can make it through the weekend, I will be emerging from this patch of woods. Let's hope that happens! Prayer or 'good thoughts' are welcome in this area.

Back to the clinic tomorrow for a 7am lab appointment and transfusion if needed. Starting the day off right. Let's roll.

4 comments:

Martha said...

I see you still have your fantastic, positive attitude and that in itself is a wonderful inspiration to me. I bet Candace isn't letting one germ get close to you!

Unknown said...

Lots of prayers being said for you up this way! Love you!!

Lindsey Elizabeth Burke said...

Praying your white cells are miraculously high tomorrow. Think about you and Candace all the time. Love and praying for y'all.

Blog Strong said...

My best vibes are headed your way, my friend.

Sometimes it takes a dark patch of woods to realize just how great the light on the other side is.

Avoid those bugs and emerge victoriously from your neutropenia next week.

Also, for a laugh, read my friend Jesse's comment on my most recent blog post. His "road trip recollection" almost makes the side effects of chemo seem easy...

Take care, Buddy,

Sam