Saturday, April 25, 2009

DAY 119: Fever update...

The fever slowly came down last night from 100.5 into the 'safe' 99.5-100.0 range. Thank you all for your prayerful support. There is no real rational explanation for why it came down. I am thankful we were able to spend the night, not in the hospital, but in our own home. Yes.

I went to Emory clinic first thing in the morning today for bloodwork, and to do some blood cultures to see if anything grows. I also got put on another antibiotic at home, which brings the total to five of them.

Tonight, a few hours ago the fever spiked to 101.4. This is nearly a whole degree above the 100.5 cutoff where they typically bring you into the hospital. We called the oncologist on-call on our Bone Marrow Transplant team. He told us that they think my white blood cells are staring to grow back, which can cause fevers. As we already have blood cultures underway and added a new antibiotic, he again suggested that we try to ride the fever out. Since I don't have chills or rigeurs along with the fever, he suspects it may just not be an infection. I sure hope this is the case.

While we are a litte surprised we were advised to simply watch and wait, the fever is slowly coming down... bit by bit. Thank you, Jesus. He is the ultimate healer and can do anything. I find rest and comfort in knowing that He has me in His hand and does all the heavy lifting in this journey.

8 comments:

Aashu Rahar said...

God Bless and hope your white cells are at the level Doc's want to see and fever goes down to normal temperature.

You are always in our prayers.

Martha said...

Thank God! You sound good and encouraged.

Vanessa said...

Praying it keeps coming down. Remembering you in our prayers and hoping these last few rounds of chemo are not so rough!

Candace Smartt said...

Can i sleep in the bed with you tonight? I think I am MUCH better... Can I? Can I? Five days away is too much.

Blog Strong said...

Glad to hear your fever's coming down. I spent the weekend in bed with my temp. at the ever nerve-racking 99.9. Finally this morning it returned to normal.

Keep that temp. down and stay away from the swine flu...

Sam

Cox Family said...

my thoughts and prayers are with you, as they have been throughout this arduous journey

Martha said...

Isn't Candace adorable! What's your temp now?

Karen A. Fentress said...

I marvel at what God has done, is doing and will do. I heard TV
ev(angel)ist Gene Scott say once that God is underneath bottomless. I think he was onto something. Hold fast. Karen