Monday, December 8, 2008

What's for dinner? My own words...

Well I just knew at one point I'd have to eat my own words. Not that I'm too proud to do so, but there's just not much to hide behind when things have been quilled out in these cyber scrolls. On my original entry, I ended with, "Let us just sit for a moment, at these crossroads of uncertainty, and meet God right here."

I was just notified by the kind folks at Vanderbilt that they just received the block (my appendix tissue) *today* and sent it off to have the necessary genetic behavior 'MYC tests' conducted by a third party. Even with rush treatment, it will likely be the end of this week until we receive the results. [Thought to self: would chemo on Christmas Day be an option, just for fun?]

So, while I thought I'd pull over at these crossroads for a minute or two, looks as though it may be more like a week or two. Or three. While an immediate reaction could be one of frustration and impatience, I am content due to a comforting realization I had over the course of the weekend: in my 'healing', so to speak, cancer is only a footnote.

What I mean to say by this is that I now see the world through a new lens -- one through which walls of fear, judgement, doubt, and lack of true peace, are cracking right before my very eyes. Some of them are even tumbling down to the ground. While I initially thought I'd have to focus all my faculties on 'beating cancer' and healing my body, I'm quickly learning that the true healing that was needed was a healing of my heart. [Gosh, this is hard to put into words... and sounds a bit sappy. I will resist the urge to try to sound cool here.]

What made this realization very real and apparent to me was that, for the past week, I have felt a peace that I've never known. Let me type that again because I don't want to gloss over it: I have felt a peace that I've *never* known. I'm comfortable in my own skin. I feel physically terrific. I'm more thankful for every waking moment than ever before. I am starting to truly cherish my wife and the bond of marraige [think 'in sickness and in death']. I see the true beauty of friendships. I make no assumptions about tomorrow. I am not ashamed or nervous about sharing my faith in Christ [especially because it is growing in leaps and bounds].

Most of these fears I did not even know I had. Perhaps in seeing more freedom from them I've been able to recognize the hold they have had on me all along.

I would wager that most of what we choose to do, or not do, is driven on fear. What will happen if I fail? What will they think of me? What will I do next if that doesn't work out? What if I don't get what I want? What if they reject me? What if I don't get my way? What if I'm wrong? What if it hurts? What if I just plain look silly? What if they think I can't afford better? What if I'm actually right?! What if I end up thinking that God isn't really there because he didn't answer my prayers?

I am learning that we all have an open-ended invitation to LIVE without fear. Abundant life. Today. Right now. Maybe I'm comfortable sitting at these crossroads becuase I am healing right now in the parts of body that God truly cares about. It's a lot easier to put a finger on sickness in our physical bodies and a whole lot harder to find the other ailments that really do make us live life the way we do.

Maybe this cancer really is a footnote. Being healed of cancer will one day take a distant back seat to the true healing that's happening. I hope you can join me in that for yourself... without the cancer part, of course.

18 comments:

Kelle Ortiz said...

Thank you thank you! Powerful words.

Kelly said...

Stu, your words are so m awe inspiring and beautiful! You are right though it is amazing how when faced with difficulties you can find peace that you've never known. It is amazing and liberating and unbelievably beautiful! You are wonderful!

Aida Rita said...

Very powerful words !

Candace and Stuart said...

Love you Stu.

willngracemom said...

Stuart,
I came by your blog this morning for an update and left with much more. You truly amaze me with your faith, words and encouragement to others through this. I have to honestly say that I needed to "hear" that today so thank you for just being you!!

Jarrett said...

Jason Campbell sent me the link to your blog. I'll make sure to follow along. It was good to see you banging away on those drums the plast few weeks in worship!

David, Jenny, Jack and Victor said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
David, Jenny, Jack and Victor said...

"No, no, nuh-uh. I've seen you play those drums Stuart.

You beat the HELL out of those drums!"

Danielle said...

Stu- actually chemo on Christmas day is an option - though it's usually reduced hours that day. I just happened to be there at Kennestone's infusion center 1 week prior to it and as I waited my 7 hours for iv fluids last year they were scheduling people for treatments on Christmas day. Hard to believe but once treatments are started you can't skip them I guess. Your words are humbling and God is using you mightily in this footnote of yours.

Unknown said...

Great post, Stewart. Thanks for your insights and openness.

Unknown said...

Amazing!

Unknown said...

Randy and i are praying for you and Candace. We love you both. Thanx for sharing your gift of faith throughout this difficult time. "As each one has received a gift, minister it to one another, as good stewards (sp? Stuarts? hee hee)of the manifold grace of God. If anyone speaks (blogs), let him speak (blog) as the oracles of God. If anyone ministers, let him do it as with the ability which God supplies, that in all things (how many things? yep- ALL THINGS!) God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belong the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen." I Pete 4:10-11 God is glorified and Christ has dominion and glory in all these things you and Candace are dealing with,Stuart. Much love, blessings and healing in the name of Jesus, michelle powell

Meghan said...

I'm finally getting a chance to read this post and I'm crying. Well said. Thank you so much for your vulnerability.

Rob Garrett said...

Stuart, thank you for opening up your life and sharing with us. I'm inspired by your words and am praying for you!

Unknown said...

Your insights are amazing, stuart. WE all needed to hear that.

Jeff said...

Hey Stuart,

Thanks for checking out my blog. Seems like yesterday I was going through the same series of tumultuous events you're currently being forced to endure. Your spirits are high, and words are encouraging, and if you keep that up there's no doubt you'll beat this thing. Sounds like you've already avoided one of the biggest mistakes people make, which is not getting a second (or third) opinion. Great move! Feel free to drop me a line anytime. Look forward to hearing from you.

Best,
-Jeff

Joshua Fry said...

Good words brother Stuart. It's so encouraging to see God engaging you on such important and deep stuff right in the middle of this trial. He's pretty dang faithful, ain't he?
-Josh

David H. said...

Hey Stu--
Rad and I had lunch the other day and he told me about your diagnosis. I guess out of, well, fear is the closest word to what I mean but not perfect, I haven't gotten in touch with you. You are definitely facing this head-on, and I respect that very much. You are in my prayers and the prayers of a great group of folks at my church. I know we were never close friends at Wake, but I still love ya, man. Merry Christmas to you and yours.