Tuesday, December 16, 2008

A busy morning...

Well I spoke with all three doctors in the past 12 hours. This is good. I even have direct email communication with one of them. He doesn't know what he's in for... just think of all the spam I could send his way.

Ok. So all three agree now that R-hyperCVAD/M-A is the way to go. (The option is still on the table for me to get Vandy's experimental in-house program called MEGA, but I don't yet know if there's enough published info on that to get me comfortable with that treatment option.)

As a refresher, R-hyperCVAD/M-A is rituxan administered with fractionated cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, vincristine, and dexamethasone, alternated with high-dose methotrexate (MTX) and cytarabine (Ara-C). I think the methotrexate can be administed intrathecally, which means directly into the spine. I'll pretend I don't know about that option, lest I have bone marrow biopsy flashbacks.

So I am leaning towards getting the treatment done at Emory with my Tiger Woods doctor, Dr. Flowers. He just seems to know his stuff. He said I can expect to be in the hospital for 5-6 days at a time, every three weeks, and it will likely be eight rounds total. (Quick math: 8 x 5 or 6 = 40-48 days)

At this point, my hardest decision is how I'm going to spend all this 'down time' in the hospital. Here are my options:
1) become wicked-good at on-line gambling and possibly squander our 401(k)
2) watch daytime soaps, talkshows, and see who 'my baby daddy' really is
3) scour all the notable check-out line magazines to keep on top of what Britney and Paris are up to
4) Explore the Bible more than I've ever been able to, read some educational books, make many new friends, and enjoy being still and silent for a season.

I think the 4th one will prevail. I take that back-- I *know* it will. Those other three options are like cancer in and of themselves.

It's easy to forget that each and every person will react differently to any given circumstance. For example, a doctor who treats ten different people will get ten unique outcomes. Once these drugs are put into my body, the doctors cease to have any influence. From that point forward, the body's cells themselves become the healing mechanism. That fact, alone, should be a miracle to us all. The true remedy here is not some smart doctor with impressive pedigree or the cocktail of particular drugs; rather, it's that each little microscopic cell will do its part to collectively heal me.

If that marvel alone doesn't evidence that we are indeed so wonderfully created, I don't know what does.

OK. The tree of trust is growing and I am so grateful that I'm not going this alone! Follow along. I think we will be glad we did this together.

16 comments:

David, Jenny, Jack and Victor said...

40 days in the wilderness... a time for healing and purification... consolidate your faith... earn your black belt in backgammon... learn Chinese?

speppers said...

I think the 4th option is your best bet, but I would throw a little of the 1st option in there (double down).

You guys are in our hearts and prayers. My mom has a prayer chain going for you guys that goes all around the world. That is always a cool and humbling feeling to me when people on the other side of the world that don't even know you are lifting you up in prayer.

God Bless

Jeff said...

"Without Faith, nothing is possible. With it, nothing is impossible." Keep up the positive attitude and faith in him. Wishing you all the best. You are in our thoughts and prayers

John G said...

Hey Stuart,
I go to church with your sister and brother-in-law in Tenn. They are great people! Please know that we are praying for you and your family.
Blessings,
John Griffin

Martha said...

Dear Stuart, I just remembered something that really helped me when I had cancer: I went through the Bible and wrote about ten of my favorite promises of God on 3 X 5 cards and put a rubber band around them and put them in my pocket. When I felt the fear come I would get the cards out and read them over and over and that brought peace to my heart. Another thing that comforted me was to imagine God's hand reaching down from heaven and holding my hand. Having cancer made me not care about the weather; how can someone complain about a rainy day? All the days look great!

Marty Reardon said...

I don't know Stu...the soaps are pretty awesome. Especially, the Spanish soaps!

Kelly said...

WOW!!! The 4th option will probably bring you the most comfort however, there is a 5th option, I can bring card and board games to the hospital when I come visit you! UNO anyone??I mean monopoly alone will occupy your mind for a few hours :) Glad you are maintaining your sense of humor!

Meghan said...

How will visitors work in your situation? My Uncle John went through intense chemo for his lymphoma as well and there came a point where he wasn't allowed anyone near him at all because his immune system was so delicate.

I think, too, you could work on writing a book, you really are a fabulous writer.

You're loved.

lisa engle said...

trusting with you.

David H. said...

Got you on my mind today, Stu. I've got a long drive to Rome this morning and I will spend time in prayer for your treatment.

Martha said...

You and my own family are on my mind prayerfully and constantly, Stuart. Another thing that helped me in the hospital was to take along recordings of peaceful Christian music to comfort me. Throw in some morphine and your worries totally vanish!

Kelle Ortiz said...

You might get a 'Shane and Kelle' show in there too along with the gambling and soap.

David, Jenny, Jack and Victor said...

Ran into monumc5 last night-- he is praying for you too

Aida Rita said...

Tiger always wins and so will you !!!

Unknown said...

last time i had to spend a week in the hospital [ear infection --don't ask], i was faced with the same decision. i had two books with me: the Bible and a math textbook. guess which one gathered dust.
there will be plenty of time for introspection though; just try not to go too crazy. if i were you, i'd take Kelly's advice and do whatever i could to stave off the madness. 6 days is a long time to spend in a hospital bed.

praying for you in Germany,
b brooks

TREICH said...

Go with Emory. You know they are undefeated in football! I'd like to come visit you. Go Eagles!