Friday, December 12, 2008

I am part of the 'Reluctant Members Club'...

Are we getting closer to certainty? Maybe. Here's the scoop...

I received a call a few hours ago from the Hematologist/Oncologicst from Vandy and he relayed two pieces of information. Firstly, he was irate that my Cytogenetics testing (to rule in or rule out Burkitt's) was still not complete and it would most likely be Tuesday. More waiting. Not sure what the hold-up is, but he assured me they were fighting those battles for me as best they can. Hmmm. I choose to believe him at his word.

Secondly, he said that based on the Pathology that Vandy completed, he had a recommendation for treatment that would be consistent regardless of what we learn next week about Burkitt's. He said that my Lymphoma has a 90+% proliferative rate. That means that the cancer is growing very, very rapidly. Most diffuse large B-cell Lymphomas have a 40-70% proliferative rate. Mine is closer to that of Burkitt's (high 90s) and therefore, even if it doesn't have the chromosomal anomalies of the Burkitt variant, it is still considered a 'high-grade' Lymphoma.

He was concerned that the standard R-CHOP chemo may not be effective against these aggressive, hyper-growing cancer cells. If we pursue the treatment consistent with Burkitt's (also a high-grade Lymphoma), then we would be covering our bases.

So what does chemo for a high-grade chemo look like? Well, it's pretty hard-core. It's called HYPER-CVAD. For the spelling bee champs out there, that's "rituximab with hyperfractionated cyclophosphamide, vincristine, doxorubicin, and dexamethasone, alternated with courses of high-dose methotrexate and cytarabine".

There are 8 drugs in the regimen. I would be in the hospital for 3-5 nights every treatment. I would need 8 treatments, three weeks apart. I would need a peripheral inserted central catheter, or PICC line, surgiacally implanted in my chest near my heart to take the IV. Dang.

The list of 'most common' side effects is longer than my niece and nephew's Christmas lists combined. I don't even know what half of these words mean: Myelosuppression• Hyperuricemia• Stomatitis• Nausea and vomiting• Neurotoxicity• Stomatitis• Vesicant• Cardiotoxicity• Hyperglycemia• Gastric irritation• Hemorrhagic cystitis• Alopecia• Insomnia• Constipation• Acute encephalopathy• Pulmonary toxicity• Pigmentation discorder• Diarrhea• Infertility• Hepatotoxicity• Fever• Cerebellar toxicity• Conjunctivitis• Flu-like syndrome• Typhlitis and necrotising colitis.

What I'd like to do, now that there appears to be a hint of art mixed in with the science, is seek yet another opinion from Emory and Piedmont on this approach. I'd hate to under-treat this. In the meantime, I found a great Leukemia/Lymphoma message board that will be a good resource for fact-finding from others in the reluctant members cancer club.

The actual phrase the Vandy doc used was, "If you can put up with the misery of HYPER-CVAD, you should." Misery, huh. Is there such a thing as joyful misery? We'll see.

14 comments:

galit.viviana said...

Hi Staurt! This is Galit- Manesh's friend. He sent me the link to your blog. I feel so grateful that you are sharing your experiences with everyone here. I am actually in nursing school at Vandy, so let me know if you need anything. I am running around the medical center all of the time and would be happy out if I can. Take care and my thoughts are with you and your family.

Jarrett said...

As if chemo wasn't bad enough, this high-grade chemo sounds even worse. Hopefully you won't have to undergo that, but at the same time you definitely want to get better. Tough decisions. I'll definitely be thinking about you and praying for you.

Kelly said...

I'll be praying for you my friend!

Martha said...

Hello, dear Stuart, I love reading your blog every day and look forward to what you have to report. On behalf of my family and my self, thank you so very very much for sharing this most personal experience with everyone. You continue to amaze me with your courage and humor. Your faith comforts us. I forgot that I am a cancer survivor, too. Your dad still calls about once a year to see how all of us are doing. Steve Smartt was the support dad from our Montgomery Bell Academy family. Steve honored my son with five special tributes at an engagement party in September, 2000. Stuart, I thank God for the parents that He gave you and for the encouragement that those same parents bestowed upon my sons. In my experience with cancer, the support and prayers of loved ones indeed meant everything. However, in truth, you are out there hanging on a limb by yourself. Through your journey in this, and in life, you will make the most amazing discovery that you truly ARE a Child of God. Your claim to fame, your core identity is in Christ. So everything is going to be OK, Stuart.

Unknown said...

Hi Stuart...wanted to offer a great DR. for another opinion. My Mom is in remission from Acute Leukemia; she had it twice, in '89 and '93. She has a great doctor @ Piedmont...his name is Charles Henderson. His number is 404 350 9853. He himself had throat cancer several years ago, and he was not a smoker; in fact he was a huge runner! So he is also incredibly empathetic as well as amazingly skilled!

Please feel free to use my Mom's name (Eula Carlos). If you need some help getting in quick, I will be more than happy to make the phone call.
Let me know @ hacarlo@aol.com...take care...our prayers are with you and Candace...Helen Carlos (Hilliard)

Kris McDaniel said...

Stuart,

I am praying for God's power to be made manifest in your body. God bless you and keep you. I also pray that God gives you and Candace wisdom during this process.

Jane Joiner said...

Stuart and Candace. This was tough news but I know with God's help both of you will come through it fine. I was thinking about the scripture in 2 Cor. 1: 10 NLT He has delivered us from such a deadly peril, and he will deliver us again. On him we have set our hope that he will continue to deliver us. . .
This scripture is great in the Message Bible too. I am hanging in with ya'll in the Spirit praying that nothing will be robbed from your lives and that you will have grace for the coming months of chemo.
Love,
Jane

Unknown said...

sounds like you will need some major anti nausea meds. Stuart - we love you and are praying for you.

Anonymous said...

Stuart, your courage and ability to share your story during this difficult time is truly an inspiration. Christine and I are praying for you daily.

David, Jenny, Jack and Victor said...

Wow, I had a little nausea just reading that! kind of reminds me of "iron man" when they install an electromagnet in his heart...

Does this mean after all the treatments are over, you will be able to fly in a robot suit and win the war on terror?

Unknown said...

we love you, dude. Keep your heart and your head high.

Unknown said...

God's peace and strength to you and Candace, brother. I will continue to pray for you. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do.

Onward!

Kyle Alfriend said...

Hello Stuart-

My son is now 6 months in remission for stage IV Burkitt's. It is very agressive (my son's cancer was doubling in size every 16 hours), it it is beatable. we had 8 hospitals involved in his treatments. He did 8 rounds of chemo. Trust God and fight to win.

We also have a blog following his fight. TylerAlfriend.blogspot.com

We will keep you in our prayers.

Lindsey Elizabeth Burke said...

The Burke's are fervently praying. God give you peace, comfort, understanding and wisdom.