Wednesday, March 11, 2009

DAY 73: Back to the clinic for the day...

After getting out of the hospital a day early, I was thrilled to be in my own bed! They monitor the body's metabolism of the Methotrexate and only when it is low enough will they let you return home. I was drinking as much as I could; doing whatever would help flush things out. In addition, there is a constant 24 hr/day infusion of Sodium Bicarbonate to help the kidneys not form crystals due to the drug. When I came home, I weighed 198lbs! Three days later, I was at 182. If that wasn't highly expected, I'd be worried... but fortunately we had some insight as to why I was bloated and swollen for a period there.

Today was an eight-to-five clinic visit. It was good timning, because today I had trouble even standing up this morning. I would feel like I would black out whenever I'd transition from sitting to standing. My pulse was 125 -- when sitting still! Borderline anemic, I did indeed need platelets (level of 34 vs. 150-250 average range). So, I met with the nurse for a quick assessment and then waited for an infusion chair. Once in the chair, I got a bag a saline, a bag of platelets (lemon cream sauce), and then my brain chemo. It went well today! Only one prick in the head! There is a chance I may not have too many more of them left to do... maybe a small victory within the battle here on the horizon!

While I've not heard difinitively from my doc, I am mentally prepared for 8 rounds. I think that's where things are headed, so I've tried to re-calibrate my expecations. That ain't easy to do. Conversely, if we had started out expecting 10 rounds, and got scaled back to 8, things would be a little easier. So, lest we set too many futile expectations for ourselves... they will indeed be tested!

Candace and I need a break. We're going to do our best to get a quick weekend roadtrip to Destin if possible. I think hitting the pause button over some fresh air will be prudent, as we've been burning the candles at both ends for many months now. She has been forced to invest so much in me... not just time, but significant emotional energy as well. A few days at the beach can work wonders to replenish the soul. Even better, we met in Destin in 1998 so it's always great to go back to 'where it all began'...

We met another relatively young couple at Emory who is battling Lymphoma as well. The husband was diagnosed about 9 months ago, they treated it... and it came back as a different type of Lymphoma. Twice. I don't know too many details, but his situation does scare me. I don't like to entertain the idea that this 'thing' could change forms and come back. No, no, no.

Candace met his wife last week when he was in a room two doors down from me in the hospital. He had contracted an infection, presumably due to his port, and his body was not strong enough to fight it. They made a tough call to remove the port, despite his platelets being dangerously low for surgery. Then a miracle happened: the medicines started beating the infection and he got well enough to be discharged. Small victory in the larger battle... ahhh, yes. Praise God for all of this.

Someone out there always has it worse than you do... ALWAYS. Think of them, and you will become grateful.

5 comments:

speppers said...

Stu,

I haven't talked to you lately. You've been a little busy for some strange reason, but I wanted to tell you we love you guys and are praying for you everyday. I pray you make it to Destin and have a great time.

Shawn

David, Jenny, Jack and Victor said...

Remember the trip back from the beach when we blocked the 2-lane hwy and made all those people from Ohio mad? That must have been the same one where the truck got stuck in sand... Sahba John!

Myr and Hollie said...

Was that the same trip where Sahba kept introducing himself as Myr? Crazy guy. Glad they only stuck you once this time. Destin sounds nice. I don't think I've been there since we were there in 93 when your mom's car broke down and Steph and her friends had to stay behind. SMD

Martha said...

Whose truck got stuck in the sand? Who was driving when the highway got blocked? Oh this is insightful! Who went into the gym the night before Spaghetti Supper and put all the chairs down flat?

Kelle Ortiz said...

Oh how fun! You have to text me a photo of you guys at The Broken Egg. You all need this!!