Thursday, March 5, 2009

DAY 67: Red Blood Cells and Cinnabon...

Te first part of this cycle was an eventful one. I got my dozen or so interruptions throughout this first night, which didn't permit too much rest. We were changing over drugs, hanging various pre-chemo and chemo delights, drawing blood, giving eyedrops, swalling pills, going to the bathroomo, testing pH. Just the basics.

We were told early in the morning that I had become anemic and would therefore need two bags of red blood cells. Mmmmm. My first experiene getting blood. I was given Tylenol and Benadryl as pre-meds to prevent any allergic reactions.

The green bag is Methotrexate chemo (it is light-sensitive and has to be covered), the clear bag is Sodium Bicarbonate (to keep the chemo from crystallizing in my kidneys), and the red bag is O+ red blood cells.


I was craving a cinnamon roll after breakfast... and the cinnamon roll fairy brought us CINNABON!!! - with extra frosting, I might add. I honestly believe the last time I had one of these was when I was 16 years old and worked at the Bellevue mall in Nashville at 'Electronic Express'. Wow. It was dec-a-dent and I savored every single bite. Cannot make a habit of these things, I am well aware...

Later in the day, we had to get the intrathecal (brain chemo). It was a little scary time time because it was a new person, who I quickly got tht feeling didn't really know what he was doing. I like to think that the people sticking chemo in my head via needles are nothing short of experts. So they prepped me and stuck me and stuck me and stuck me and just couldn't seem to hit the sweet spot.


We showed them a photo of one previous time when things went smoothly, as an attempt to try to guide the needle placement. It worked and we accomplished the procudure in the end. Whew. Glad that's over... until the next time!

Here is shot of me sporting my "Chili Tru-Rap" from Wal*Mart for $1.44. It was a Christmas present from Dr. Matt Everett, which I know looks totally riduculous... which I why I wear it with pride.


The lady four doors down from us passed away yesterday. I don't know anything about her, but her family was here most of the day congreagating in the hallway, and so we knew things were not good. Please keep in your hearts all the people who fight this fight, or any other health battle, and don't have the ourcomes that they hope for. It's really sobering -- and sad.

8 comments:

jaypercival said...

The thought of being continuously stuck with needles makes me feel like passing out!!! I can't believe they let people try over and over again with such things!

Your new head wrap is pretty unbelievable! I am glad you sent it over the internets!

Unknown said...

I'm thinking about you Stuart...each and every single day. Glad you guys got the "best" room.

Myr and Hollie said...

Glad y'all got the needle in. I'm not a needle fan.

Cinnabon? Bellevue Mall? Boy, you're taking me back now. S-S-Studio, you work there too Stu?, tell her we have to work, you boys looking for some electronics?, toss, ENYA, go get me falafel

love ya bro

Marty Reardon said...

I love the head wrap! I think all restaurant kitchen staff persons will be wearing them in the future. Keep up the fight rockstar!

Martha said...

Get a majic marker and mark the spot, Stuart!! Glad you had the photo in order to show them the spot. You are so brave and you look really good in that head wrap. You look more like a drummer! I love to read everything you write. God Bless you!

ADukes said...

Stuart - I had lunch with Russ Herakovich today and he shared your blog with me. I will be praying for you and your wife as you wage this battle. All the best to you and I will be following your blog.
Allison Dukes

Kelly said...

I love the "do wrap"! MMM Cinnabon, that sounds really good right now...thanks now I'm craving it! Glad this visit is not as bad as past visits!

David, Jenny, Jack and Victor said...

hahaha, chili tru rap-- classic! together with the EE comment reminds me of your AM-5 scheme