Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Projectile...vomiting?

So *that's* what they mean by this choice of words.

I got hit hard around 9pm last night with some projectile vomiting and relentless diarrhea (sorry if that's not PC). I had just downed a nice dinner and come home, when it all came back up. (Any chance I can petition for a refund?) And I mean ALL of it-- lunch, too. It was a long night- marked by fevers, bathroom trips, tossing and turning. $40 bucks... down the toilet. Literally.

For obvious reasons, I stayed home from work today. Been laid out on my back all day long. Brought back memories of chemo life.

Tried to nibble on a piece of toast -- bad idea. Bouts of vomiting were almost instantaneous. I did manage to pull off a deft move whereby the vomit was mid-air over our carpet and I grabbed the trash can and caught it just before things got completely ruined. I have lost 6 lbs in the past 24 hours. Who knew weight loss was this effortless!

I will say this: despite this being no fun whatsoever, it sure does beat a normal day during chemo. Allllll relative, my friend!

My employer is now officially in Ch 11 bankruptcy. TIme will tell what this will eventually mean, but for now -- I am still employed!

2009... who could've predicted the excitement!!

Watching game 6 of the World Series through one eye... while I nap with the other... lovely evening!

10 comments:

Candace and Stuart said...

I could do without some of the 2009 excitement, hubby.
I am so glad you are feeling a little better and I am selfishly praying it was the food and not a virus.
I love you man.

Jon and Amanda said...

Oh Stuart- I'm so sorry. I had never been sick like that until August when I threw up 40 times. It was terrible and so painful. Spent the entire day & night on a pallet on the bathroom floor. Make sure you drink some gatoraid as soon as you can hold something down. It took me about 4 days before I could eat anything other then a bite of banana. I'm praying for you. It is such a terrible experience and I hope the worst is over. And I'm glad you caught it and saved your carpet. Let's just say I had to have mine cleaned by Stanley ;)

Unknown said...

Yes, hoping it was the food!

Aida Rita said...

Hoping it was the food as well and that 2010 is not as exciting.

Art said...

I went with my son to Columbia University to see the best expert in burkitts lymphoma.
He said - burkitts almost never relapse after 1 year since diagnosis
I think You are there.
I ‘ll pray for you & stay healthy!

Martha said...

That illness has been going around up here; I had the same thing and was weak and not eating for three days. You have a great sense of humor...I'm visualizing your catching the vomit before it hit the carpet and just knowing you makes that funny.

Vanessa said...

I hope you are feeling better, and I must say I was rather impressed with your quick move! Praying for healing and strength for you and Candace!

Vanessa

Aashu Rahar said...

Holiday season is approaching and there's going to be parties and delicious food. Please enjoy, responsibly !

I'm so glad to learn that you are doing much better and wish that 2010 is a very happy year for you.

David, Jenny, Jack and Victor said...

just a case of the dehli sniffles

N.D. said...

Your story reminds me of my honeymoon. Ah, the romance of our trip to Spain. Me, Chrissy, a quiet restaurant with a waiter who spoke no english. So what was it we ate? Who knows, but it was fried! Flashforward to the evening at the hotel. We still refer to Barcelona as Barfelona. Funny though, cause when people ask about our honeymoon, it's usually the pleasant highlights I remember. Unless, or course, the conversation topic turns to vomiting.