Thursday, November 19, 2009

It has been a year...

Today is the day... one year ago. Whew. We made it!

It's a good thing that we can't see into the future of our lives, otherwise we'd be left to process -- all at once -- the joy and anxiety of everything. What a waste that would be! No, thanks. I'm happy with the day-by-day approach. (I say this as if I have a choice...)

Yet I don't feel great, I do feel gooooood enough. And for thank I am so thankful. Many, many days in the last year were pretty rough, as you know.

I'm having a challenging time doing this 'reflection' that I had hoped to do. Perhaps it's the steroid I'm on? Either way, the impact is still a story unfolding as we go.

I confess that I did honk aggressively at someone on my hour-long drive home today (for blocking traffic while they made a left-hand turn out of the far right-hand lane!). That's the barometer: I must be hardening up formidably. Dang it.

But tomorrow I will go to Emory to get my port flushed, and I hope to be reminded of my parole status once again so I can shed a layer or two of this hardness in the process. Such a predicable creature, I am.

My friend is putting some chemo video footage together that I hope to post to this site. I will be the pale, puffy one you see.

Well thanks for hanging with me this past year. Whether you've read this site once or weekly, I am honored that you shared it with me.

I felt lifted up and supported by so many.

Thank you so kindly.

8 comments:

Aida Rita said...

Wow, a year already. Much love to both of you.

Candace and Stuart said...

We both know how much can change in a year. I thought 2005 was the year of our lives...but maybe, just maybe it was 2009. What do ya think?

Emerson and Brooks said...

Congratulations, Stuart and Candace! You guys are a great inspriation to us all.

Martha said...

I love knowing that you are behind the wheel and honking!

Kelly said...

So glad you have made it through this time...ya'll are so inspiring!

William said...

Stuart and Candace, our prayers have been with you each day and then some. It would be hard to tell you how thankful we are that you are slowly improving. This life has many blessings from God because you both are such special people. Being full of God's spirit and love is all you need to go forward. Thank you both for sharing with us and we cant wait to see you Wm and Judy and yes our prayers are still coming

David, Jenny, Jack and Victor said...

funny - that reminds me of the time you got mad at Steph for asking whether the exit was on the right or left... we do have a left-hand exit in Kernersville you know

LazySusan said...

Congratulations! thanks for the inspiration and the hope. I have been trying to leave tips for people treating their cancer. My worst side effect from chemo was heat, cold sweats, and insomnia. I work for ChiliTechnology so I started using one of these and it was a great help to me: ChiliPad (it's a mattress pad that lets you cool the bed down to any temperature you set - it has a range from 46 to 118 degrees). I also went on an all organic macrobiotic diet, which really helped with detoxing from the chemo (and I've never gone off the diet, because I feel better eating this way than I did before cancer). The other thing I did that was really important to my healing was watch tons of stand-up comedy. I really believe laughter is the best medicine.