Monday, August 24, 2009

Follow-up lab work, and a taco testimony...

Went to Emory last week for some blood work, a port flush, and a chat with my hem/onc (Hematologist Onlcologist).

The lab work was good. No red flags. While my platelets are still low (110, vs a range of 150-400) and my white blood cells are 4.0 (vs a range of 4.2-9.1), the other key levels are fairly average. My Hematocrit and Hemoglobin are 43.1% and 15.5, respectively. This means I don't get winded walking up the stairs anymore!

While I still have the two pieces of hardware installed (one in my chest and one on my skull), I hardly notice they are there. I hope they let me keep my port after its removed so I can wear it on a chain around my neck. Oh, so cool. And gross.

Dr. Flowers told me that my lingering side effects are ok and not cause for concern. I am still congested daily, have severe 'foot pain' and numbness, and a lack of energy. He reminded me that some people don't feel normal even after 12 months after chemo, and for me it has been only 2-and-a-half.

This past Saturday, Candace and I were sitting at the bar of my favorite restaurant (Taqueria del Sol) eating lunch. As the bartender brought our bill, he paused, looked me in the eye sincerely, and said, "Man, you are looking so healthy with hair and everything. It was really great seeing you come in here during treatment and braving being in public. I mean, it must've been really hard getting that news and going through everything. I don't wanna sound all sappy or anything, but I guess just seeing you in here made me, I dunno, less... afraid. So thank you. I'm Andrew, by the way..."

We sat there, in awe, of the wonderful testimony that he had unknowingly just shared. The Lord does amazing things through us, even when we don't know it, eh?

It's a reminder to me that we don't have to be explicitly DOING anything in order to influence the lives of others and make changes in a positive direction. People are always observing, even when we are silent.

In the end, it's evidently a undisputable charge to all of us to be a living witness to the greatness of Christ and the love, grace and mercy that He is to everyone, whether they know it or not.

What He has done for me, He has done for you; He has done for us.

5 comments:

julia.marie said...

praise the LORD my friend! seeing you healthy makes me as happy as Christmas!
he has done great things indeed.

David, Jenny, Jack and Victor said...

Hooray!!!

Martha said...

Thanks for the good report. You sound better and better all the time. Your life has become a ministry.

Kelly said...

Thank you for sharing that!

Kris McDaniel said...

this is beautiful. Stu, your life and story make me less afraid, too. I love you very much and am thankful for your life. God bless you, friend.