Monday, August 10, 2009

Back in the saddle at work...

Well today marks a formidable day in recovery, as I went back to work at my physical office location. My business casual clothes feel a little tight in the waist-- what's up with that?? As you know, my emlpoyer is going through a rocky time currently and so the future of my role here is uncertain. The few of us who are left in the office just stare at each other, shrug our shoulders, and say that time will tell. It's quiet... kind of like a library.

My side effects seem to want to continue to linger. I won't complain about them, lest I come across and ungrateful or naggy... BUT, the recovery process is slow and not always linear in direction. I find that I'll feel better, then worse, then better. Right now, I'm on the worse side of the curve. Feels like I've got a cold or flu. Achy all over, especially the legs. Congestion all day, every day. Coughing up yellow stuff pretty much every day since May. The fatigue is still palpable and makes me want to nap whenever I can.

Enough about me. My limitations are trivial compared to both how I was for most of this year, as well as the current condition of two of my close friends. These are the two I mentioned in my last post.

I don't know too much detail on either, but I do know that my friend here in Atlanta is hospitalized and not doing well. He is experiencing tumor lysis syndrome, whereby the breakdown of cancer tumors causes major problems in the kidneys and bladder. The uric acid gets too high. He had nine rounds of chemo, including some more toxic than hyperCVAD, and the Lymphoma is not responding. As a reminder, one must first get into remission before a stem cell transplant becomes an option.

This could've been me. It could still be me if I relapse. There's no logical differentiation between him and me. We are the same age, live in the same city, had the same rare cancer, and yet he is in the hospital still fighting on the front lines, and I am sitting at a cozy desk in a suburban office building. I don't get it. I am heartbroken for him. We need a miracle here.

6 comments:

Jon and Amanda said...

I'm praying for your friend. Thank you for continuing to share your journey, and reminding us to pray.

Jenny & David Brooks said...

Strange times indeed. I hope Candace is feeling better! we will be praying for your two friends

Vanessa said...

Keeping you and Candace in my prayers!

Blog Strong said...

I don't understand it either... I suppose that it is beyond understanding.

I am glad to hear that you're back at work; for me there is nothing better than going into work.

I hope that you and Candace are doing well and enjoying post-treatment life.

Sam

Emerson and Brooks said...

That is great you are back to work. Hang in there, your body is still adjusting. We are always thinking about you guys!

Martha said...

Whoa! I clicked on the picture of that beautiful, fuzzy head and it filled up the whole screen! Brian had a great time hanging out with you guys while he was here. I sent you a message with him; hope you got it: "Tell Stuart I'm proud of him and I love him". He said you looked great; just normal, like any guy. How wonderful is that! Take good care of Candace she's a treasure. Sorry to hear about your two sick friends. I'm glad they have you to minister to them. We all worried about you in that way and now we celebrate God's grace and healing on your behalf. You inspire us!