Sunday, August 2, 2009

Day ###: I quit counting...


So I am no longer tallying up the days since my first treatment commenced. I think that's a good sign. A lot has been happening over the past few weeks, but clearly blogging has not been one of them. My apologies for those who returned for a read!

Here is the rewind: beach, bankruptcy, and role reversal.

We did indeed head back to Destin for a few days... the beach where Candace and I met on August 14, 1998. It was a much better trip that time, as I was able to soak it all in and enjoy foods that were banned last time around. I started a new habit: reading books. I've never been much of a reader, but now it's time that shortcoming go away. I mean it. I *hope* to mean it. So I read a book by Ravi Zacharias, a well known Christian apologist of Indian ethnicity. I also read a book on human trafficking for the sex trade. This book was eye-opening and really fired me up. I am still trying to figure out a way I can go save some of these young girls myself. Grrrr. Other than reading, we did a lot of eating and relaxing. Just what the doctor ordered.

While at the beach, my employer, CIT, was on the ropes and within hours of filing bankruptcy. It was all over the news for about three days straight. We had an all-employee call where one person asked, "will we get paid next week?" The reply from leadership was, "We *think* so." Things are starting to get really exciting! Fresh off chemo, and now it's time to either find a new job, or new career, possibly. Fortunately the economy is strong and unemployment is very low right now, right? I've been under a rock, so I wouldn't know any better.

While we received a financial lifeline as a company, it may or may not last longer than a few weeks. This will be a fun one!

As for role reversal, Candace got an elective surgery last week and has been recuperating ever since. I got to play caretaker for a while. She says I make a great 'house husband'. I am glad I got to hone my skills a bit more. She is feeling better and better, so the roles aren't so reversed any more. It was fun while it lasted.

On a final note, there are two friends who also had Lymphoma who are not doing so well. One is here in Atlanta. He was one of the fellas I met at Emory while going through my treatment. His cancer has not responded to hyper-CVAD, and also did not appear to respond to another chemo, IVAC-R, either. They are now strongly suggesting he get a stem cell transplant. I am heartbroken for him. Why does chemo cure some and not others with the very same cancer?

The other friend is in Texas. She was diagnosed with Lymphoma about a year ago, and eventually went into remission. This past week, she had some throat soreness checked into, and they found a mass under her sternum that cannot easily be biopsied apart from a major procedure. There is also a growth on her voice box. They aren't calling it a relapse at this point, and we're all holding onto hope that it isn't.