Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanks. Given.

So I was going 78 in a 60? I was just passing that slow mini-van, really. But how was I supposed to know that spacious 4-lane road was only meant for 60 mph? Well the TN State Trooper decided it was pretty evident and let me have it. And why wasn't I able to find my current proof of insurance in the glovebox? I always keep that stuff in order, but today just wasn't one of those days. Luckily, I have rationalized the fine I will pay as a tax that serves the greater good of that beautiful state and therefore, I can rest.

In some reading today, I learned a bit more about how cancer treatment clinical trails work, what the success rates are, and a little more about other types of Lymphomas (Hodgkin vs. Non-Hodgkin, indolent vs. aggressive growth, follicular vs. diffuse large B-cell). A few noteworthy items: the overall success rate for curing my kind of Lymphoma with R-CHOP is about 50-60%. That's only a little better than the flip of a coin. What gives me comfort is that young age and general good health should take that number upward. I suppose one individual cannot really perceive on a daily basis a few percentage point movement for or against a successful outcome, but I hope to become one extra datapoint that keeps the trend moving upward.

One other interesting thought: most cancers, including prostate, breast, and colon, are on the decline. A few, however, are on the rise: Lymphoma, Myeloma, and Kidney. Lymphoma itself is increasing 3-4% per year, in fact. Why is this? The logical default (apart from people living longer) is there must be a social or environmental impetus. With a million different variables flying around us, we're certainly far too early in the history records to have a clue what it could be. Maybe sticking my head in the microwave wasn't such a good idea. I am kidding, of course. I take solace (sort of) in thinking that a few generations from now, we'll simply rub a topical cream on the area of the skin where the cancer lies within, and things will clear up in 48 hours or less. Won't that be the day. No more leaching!

A final point: in a recent sample of 600 cases referred to Memorial Sloan-Kettering for a 2nd opinion, 18% of initial cancer diagnoses were ultimately re-classified in a way significant enough to change treatment. Wow. That's more 'art' in this 'science' than I would've anticipated. Not that I suspect any changes, but I am waiting to hear back from the pathologist at Vandy who will re-cut my slides and echo a reading on things. Maybe it's benign after all? Either way, we'll be thankful and life will never be the same. For the better.

Well I better get to bed so I can wake up at 4:45am for those door-buster giveaways at Macy's. Riiight. You've got the wrong guy. I guess consumerism is more like cancer than we may realize. Thanks for the read, my friend.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Well, sorry about the ticket, but you are dealing with that well. As for rubbing the cream on the area where the cancer is in the future, I always figured it would be more star-trekky and we would lay down in some thing like a tanning bed (but not a tanning bed obviously) and presto no more cancer...