Monday, November 24, 2008

Half of something is still something...

Well maybe the bone marrow biopsy takes a little longer and so the verdict is still forthcoming on that front, but at least we got word back form the PET/CT scan. The good news: the cancer appears to be in my abdominal area only (more or less near my appendix), and is not in my spleen and not above the diaphragm! This is good. So, I'm a stage II if the bone marrow comes back clean. If not, I think I hop up to a stage IV (which I do not want).

Tomorrow is a big day for us. We're heading out early to drive to the Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center in Nashville for another opinion on treatment. From what I've read and seen (a la Google searches), Vandy is a regional leader in cancer treatment and education, and they have some docs who know a thing or two about Lymphoma. We'll be in the car for the first half of the day, and then with the oncologist the second half of the day. What's more, I'm from Nasvhille, so I'll be in the company of my family and some long-time friends.

I've been requested to give 4-5 samples for cryogenic sperm freezing at $300 a pop. Why do these chemo drugs have to be so indiscriminate? I mean, people, please. The prospect of having to wait an indefinite amount of additional time to only have a chance at having children saddens me. I've not yet even begun to allow myself to think about what that grief would look like. My dear wife has to carry this burden with me, and I think it's safe to say that she is as uncertain and unsure about how she feels as I am.

Candace came home today with oodles and oodles of selected 'goodies' from Whole Foods. Everything from vitamins to something that says on the label "Increases Natural Killer Cell Activity". This must be like lightning in a bottle. I'd love to take these horse pills but some of them are so large they could float the Panama Canal. Nooooo way. Maybe with a little yogurt I can coax them down. I am new to pill swallowing, but that's another story for another day.

On another positive note, I was able to connect with a friend of a friend who beat his Lymphoma. He had it 10 years ago, got some chemo + radiation, and has been in remission ever since. There's an unspoken connection when you're able to share stories and fears with someone who has been in your shoes. I imagine that many of you can echo that sensation, for one reason or another.

Rest well, all of you.

5 comments:

corrie said...

love you guys, will pray that tomorrow goes well in Nashville-Corrie and Mark

Jon and Amanda said...

We'll be praying you have a safe drive tomorrow, that your doctors visits are productive, and your bone marrow test comes back negative. And that most of all you have an encouraging time with your family and friends. We love you guys.

Kelly said...

I am definitely praying for not only you and Candace but your family as well. I hope the bone marrow test comes back negative!! I am so sorry you are being hit with this and honestly can't think of anything that will provide comfort other than you are well loved and you have tons of people praying for you! Be safe driving to Nashville and good luck!

Lindsey Elizabeth Burke said...

SO thankful that you were able to talk to him. What a crazy, unexpected blessing. Praying that it was or will be able to calm fears and answer unknown questions.

Aida Rita said...

We will be praying for safe travels and a great visit in Nashville.