Sunday, April 4, 2010

Daily bread.

I am prone to spend more time worrying about the future than I should. If I really do trust that Jesus is Lord over my life, has conquered death and all fear, then what's the hold up?

A thought came to me this week about the concept of daily bread. We are instructed to ask God for our daily bread. Manna was gathered up daily, for that day only. Any 'extra' provisions would go bad and ultimately become useless.

So if each morning, before I roll out of bed, I ask myself, "Do I have enough to get through the day?"

"Do I have what I need to make it until I return back to this very same bed, at the end of the day?"

The answer is simple. It's 'yes'. It has been 'yes' every day thus far in my life. The answer this morning, was also 'yes'. Tomorrow? Well, I'll know come tomorrow morning what the answer is, but I am fairly certain the answer will continue to be... 'yes'.

As I consider only the very day in front of me, I need not worry about having enough bread for future days. Of course this doesn't mean I am to squander all that I steward in a profligate way. Rather, it simply means that I need not have fear, anxiety, concern or worry about whether the bread will last beyond today and today alone.

The Lord has promised to be faithful in giving us our daily bread, and so I'm not going to keep doing my best to ignore this promise in worrying about some distant day that may never come.

I'm a 'yes' today. I'll get to tomorrow when it gets to me.

3 comments:

Julie said...

Wise words, very wise words! Years ago I was fretting about how things would work out in the future when I clearly heard God say to me. "Why are you in tomorrow, I am still in today." "Stay in today with me." "I've got your tomorrows!"

He has also spoken to me of the gathering of manna!

Enjoyed reading here today!

Lindsey Elizabeth Burke said...

Great writings. Great reminders. These days in our life I find myself worrying a heck of a lot about what the future holds. You are right...God gives me enough for TODAY! Tomorrow is a new day full of new promises/provisions. I think many of us spend our days worrying about what tomorrow holds, next week holds or next year holds rather than really living IN the day and being present. I know I find myself having to beg that I can relish in these moments praying that I can receive whatever it is the Lord is teaching that moment. Thanks for this post...very thought provoking. Sorry for writing so darn long :)

Marty Reardon said...

Thanks Stu. Its good to be reminded of the simple things in our faith. You are an inspiration to me and I love you my brother.