Wednesday, April 14, 2010

9 months out: A clean report

So Dr. Flowers (I can no longer associate him with Tiger -- oh, how much has changed) came in and cut right to the chase. "Your scan looked good," he said, with his borderline awkward indifference and focus-less stare.

Wooo hooo.

At this point, my platelets are a little lower than yours, but they are not low enough to worry. Hope I don't cut my knee on the playground this weekend.

Otherwise, my liver, kidney, red blood, yadda yadda yadda function all look good.

He said I can meet with the neurosurgeon about getting my USB port out of my skull. No more awkward cowlick.

I celebrated with... you guessed it: fish tacos. Well, I did a pre and post celebration, both with fish tacos. An addict, I admit.

After getting the good report, I walked across the street to the main hospital where I spent my 45+ nights over 8 rounds of chemo. I sat with my buddy Khadar Hassan, who I came to meet right after he was diagnosed with Burkitt's. He is 22 and from Somalia.

This guy is a fighter. Like me, he got a nasty Staph infection during treatment, coincidentally also after his 4th round of chemo. Though I was in the hospital for a week getting pumped up on antibiotics, getting my port ripped out, having blood cultures and a 104+ fever, he was in for two.

They got the MRSA under control, and started round 5 today. What a fighter.

While I am honored to be on the back side of such a hard fight, I don't stray too far from what it's like to be in the bed, flat out on my back, getting pumped full of toxins.

Khadar is in the thick of it, and I yearn to walk through that valley with him in whatever way I can.

I also met an 18-year old named Austin Saunders in the clinic who was laid out on a bench with a pillow over his head. An anxious woman sat beside him, rubbing her bloodshot eyes.

"Lumbar puncture?", I inquired.

"Yes," she murmured softly. "He has a rare non-Hodgkins Lymphoma and just started chemo last week."

My heart sank. That was me! The very same thing! Laid out, miserable, ready to give up, though things had only just begun. I was right there on that bench beside him, in my heart.

Poor kid was throwing up every 3 minutes. I am that kid.

I made every effort to console Mom and tell her some lessons learned from the road I had ventured only twelve months prior. I jotted down my contact info and offered prayer and whatever practical support I can provide. I sure hope they call.

Lately, I am playing tennis, exercising, eating well, and joyfully employed. God is so merciful.

Lord, please don't let me forget that I am one breath away from being on the other side of this thin veil of good health. Oh, my.

7 comments:

Myrna said...

Smiling for you! Glad to hear a great update.

Ryan D. Keiffner said...

hey buddy...glad to hear that you are doing well.

keep on, keepin' on.

your in my thoughts.

Unknown said...

Amen and Amen. Praise you God.
And Stuart, so happy that you get to be a light to people in such a dark situation. I know your words carry such weight for them; more than what most of us can offer.
We are so proud to call you a friend!

Jeff Guy said...

Stu, I am so happy, brother. God be praised for the clean bill of health.
May Christ go before you every time you stroll across the hospital into the treatment center. May his Spirit ever guide your words and deeds as you care for those on the other side.

Martha said...

What! I've been checking and checking on you two kids and here you are again. I even forgot you had cancer after you never wrote anything!! You are so funny.
Please pray for a 4-year-old acquaintance of mine who recently was diagnosed with leukemia and has started on a two-year course of treatment. It has hit her parents very hard, but their faith is strong.
When are you going to write your book?

William said...

Stuart and Candace, thankful for the update and so glad you continue to write. We are still praying for you and cant wait to see you again. Wm and Judy

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.