Wednesday, October 14, 2009

A clean scan! Three months down...hopefully a long lifetime to go...

Just back from my doctor's appointment at Emory. The CT scan shows no signs of recurrence of the cancer. Candace and I are elated!

The good news doesn't stop there: my white blood count (my immune system), which had been at 1.7 and then 2.0, jumped all the way to 7.4! The normal range is 4.2 to 9.1, so I am smack-dab in the thick of it. While my platelets dropped a little, they are not in the critical zone and this type of drop is less of a concern than my whites. Other counts looked great: Hematocrit (46.7%), Hemoglobin (16.5), RBC count (5.04).

I'm going to get scanned in three more months, and hope for the same result. In the meantime, I have to get a CT scan of my sinuses this Friday, as I've had chronic sinusitis for several months now. I will see an ENT doc to try to figure out what's going on. Since my bowels have been a bit unpredictable (read: irregular and irritable), I am probably going to have to see a GI doc. The sinus and bowel 'problems' are minimal in comparison to the good news related to recurrence and white blood counts!

God has carried me through some fearful nights this past week. All the scenarios running through my head of a possible relapse were playing like a double-feature in my head. At one point, I even remarked that this post-chemo period has been more challenging from a fear and trust perspective, as one fully expects to feel crummy during chemo... but not for months and months after the chemo has ended.

I walked the Light the Night event this past saturday and, of course, didn't take a camera. My feet were burning in pain, but I completed the entire 2-mile walk and enjoyed it thoroughly. Each person was a given a colored balloon: Red for family/supporters, white for patients/survivors, and gold for a lost loved one. There was a sea of red balloons, a few white ones, and many gold ones. Lots of people don't make it. Like Richard. I walked with him in mind, and his name written in marker on my shirt. It was a moving event.

My employer is still on the verge of a major restructuring, or bankruptcy. This is great news. Why? Because coming 'back' to work has been such a nice thing, given the temporary holding pattern we're in. Whenever I feel unproductive or like I'm not 'where I need to be in life', I am reminded that there could've been NO BETTER TIME IN MY LIFE, or even the series of world events, for me to go through chemo and recovery.

The opportunity to see the 'good' coming out of this, and the invitation to give all glory to our God, abounds at every single turn in the road. I am so, so grateful.

Next post to include a Dude (cat) video. He is working on a trick that he wants to share with you.

13 comments:

Katie said...

Hooray for clean scans!! I'm so glad to hear all is well. I hope you continue to enjoy the beginning of your long and cancer-free life! Love to you and Candace!
Katie

Sam's Mum said...

Happy, happy. Joy, joy!!!! So happy to hear this. Especially happy to see the great blood counts. You are truly on your way to recovery. Keep up the great work of healing.

Vanessa said...

so excited for a clean scan! I agree with you, the fear in the aftermath is much worse! Praying for you and Candace daily!

Blog Strong said...

Stuart!

Congratulations! You have been in my thoughts all week and I cannot express how happy I was to wake up to news of your clear scan this morning. It's made my day and my week.

I very much enjoyed your last comment on my blog -- There is something amazing and inexpressible about the beauty of the world -- even the most simple things. Up here our leaves are rapidly changing and I've been left in awe of the bright trees, green grass and striking sunsets on post-work walks in recent days.

I also want to thank you for being part of my support group over the last year or so. You have often lifted my spirits and been an important breeze in my sail and I appreciate it more than you can know.

Once again congratulations, and here's to many cancer-free and fun decades to come!

-Sam

Erin said...

Celebrating with you...YAY for clear scans!!!!

Aida Rita said...

Hooray !!!

Still praying for you and the awesome Candace !

Meghan said...

HURRAH! SO THRILLED FOR YOU!

Keithslady said...

I'm so happy for you--I've followed your journey as I noticed you commenting on Sam's blog. Sam graduated from high school with my son, and his girlfriend Katie is the daughter of a friend of mine. I love to hear you raise the name of the Lord as you celebrate the triumph of this time. May He be pleased to bless you abundantly with a cancer-free future.

Kelly said...

I am sooooo glad to hear this news!! That is wonderful!

amalia said...

May God bless you and bring lots of strength and health your way! Will keep you in my prayers...

Martha said...

7.4!!! That feels to me like you kids just won the lottery!! You sound great. David said you looked very good; that one would never tell you had been sick. He loved his visit with you this week. Nine years ago this week, Oct. 14, you were in David and Jenny's wedding. I remember how you were dancing with glee at how you had decorated the get-away car and I have a movie of it. You and Candace and your whole family are very dear to us. Heck, if your business files thats nothing compared to your going through cancer! God has healed you! Through Him, you can do anything.

Margaret Welman Paez said...

Get better, Stuart.

We can argue more online.

-Margaret

Art said...

I wish you Best & healthy kids
I think you ll be fine.
my son got the same limphoma he is only 8.10 years old.
We hope God give us the cure.

I spoke with leading expert about burkitt's it is very unusial relapse 1 year from diagnosis
Good luck !